does not contain debugging information, why?
Author Message
 does not contain debugging information, why?

Hi,
I am having a problem with VC++ 6. Please help.
I opened a workspace from File | Open Workspace, select file type *.exe.
Select the exe file, and press F10, everything work fine. I can see all
debugging information.
Then I copied all my project files to a different drive. When I did the
same, I got error message, saying that the directory does not contain
debugging information. Looks like absolute path is being used for
debugging information.
Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks,
Chris

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:38:26 GMT
 does not contain debugging information, why?
Did you copy the .pdb files over?

VC++ 6.0 will look for the .pdb file in the absolute path (it's stored in
.exe and .dll files) and it will also look in the current directory.

> Hi,
> I am having a problem with VC++ 6. Please help.
> I opened a workspace from File | Open Workspace, select file type *.exe.
> Select the exe file, and press F10, everything work fine. I can see all
> debugging information.
> Then I copied all my project files to a different drive. When I did the
> same, I got error message, saying that the directory does not contain
> debugging information. Looks like absolute path is being used for
> debugging information.
> Is there a way to make this work?

> Thanks,
> Chris

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:37:12 GMT
 does not contain debugging information, why?
Yes, I copied the whole directory tree.
Is there a way to change the absolute path?
Thanks,
Chris
Quote:

> Did you copy the .pdb files over?

> VC++ 6.0 will look for the .pdb file in the absolute path (it's stored in
> .exe and .dll files) and it will also look in the current directory.

> --

>>Hi,
>>I am having a problem with VC++ 6. Please help.
>>I opened a workspace from File | Open Workspace, select file type *.exe.
>>Select the exe file, and press F10, everything work fine. I can see all
>>debugging information.
>>Then I copied all my project files to a different drive. When I did the
>>same, I got error message, saying that the directory does not contain
>>debugging information. Looks like absolute path is being used for
>>debugging information.
>>Is there a way to make this work?

>>Thanks,
>>Chris

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:48:53 GMT
 does not contain debugging information, why?
Copying the whole directory tree is not necessarily sufficient.

VC++ will look for debug information in two places: the directory
the .pdb file was linked to, and the directory to the code module
(.dll or .exe) was loaded from. If the .pdb file is in a different
directory from the code module then when you copy the files
to a new location, the debug information will not be found.

So, make sure they are in the same directory. This works.

I misspoke when I said VC++ looked in the current directory, I
meant in the code module directory.

> Yes, I copied the whole directory tree.
> Is there a way to change the absolute path?
> Thanks,
> Chris

> > Did you copy the .pdb files over?

> > VC++ 6.0 will look for the .pdb file in the absolute path (it's stored
in
> > .exe and .dll files) and it will also look in the current directory.

> > --
rights.

> >>Hi,
> >>I am having a problem with VC++ 6. Please help.
> >>I opened a workspace from File | Open Workspace, select file type *.exe.
> >>Select the exe file, and press F10, everything work fine. I can see all
> >>debugging information.
> >>Then I copied all my project files to a different drive. When I did the
> >>same, I got error message, saying that the directory does not contain
> >>debugging information. Looks like absolute path is being used for
> >>debugging information.
> >>Is there a way to make this work?

> >>Thanks,
> >>Chris

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 05:08:30 GMT
 does not contain debugging information, why?
Bruce,
That's very helpful. Thanks very much.
Everything works now.
Chris
Quote:

> Copying the whole directory tree is not necessarily sufficient.

> VC++ will look for debug information in two places: the directory
> the .pdb file was linked to, and the directory to the code module
> (.dll or .exe) was loaded from. If the .pdb file is in a different
> directory from the code module then when you copy the files
> to a new location, the debug information will not be found.

> So, make sure they are in the same directory. This works.

> I misspoke when I said VC++ looked in the current directory, I
> meant in the code module directory.

> --

>>Yes, I copied the whole directory tree.
>>Is there a way to change the absolute path?
>>Thanks,
>>Chris

>>>Did you copy the .pdb files over?

>>>VC++ 6.0 will look for the .pdb file in the absolute path (it's stored

> in

>>>.exe and .dll files) and it will also look in the current directory.

>>>--
>>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

> rights.

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 05:37:22 GMT

1. "can not find debug information" message

2. ? Installing Debugging Information / Symbolic Information

3. get debug information over serial information

4. Why the Font size is not same between Debug version and Release Version

5. Release vs Debug Why does this not work

6. Why the Font size is not same between Debug version and Release Version

7. Debugging programs with no debug information

8. GetSchemeTable() doesn't always contain valid information?

9. Why is it doing this?

10. Why does doing this break my program?

11. Why are most HPC done in Fortran?

12. Why are most HPC done