Dr. Watson won't show symbols
Author Message
 Dr. Watson won't show symbols

Hi all,

I've written a multi-threaded MFC app that crashes on my users' computer but
not mine so I'm trying to use Dr. Watson to debug it (under Win98SE).
However I cannot get Dr. Watson to report any symbols and I am at my wits
end.

I am using VC++6.0 and under "Project Settings" Link tab I've set "Debug
Info" to "COFF Format" (I've also tried "Both formats"). Under the C++ tab
I've set "Debug Info" to "C7 Compatible" (I've also tried "Program
Database"). I've also set the settings described in various articles I've
found in MSDN. However no matter what I do Dr. Watson NEVER includes any
symbols in the dump.

I've created a test app that I crash deliberately with strcpy(NULL, NULL).
Dr. Watson pops up dutifully when it crashes, but I can't find my symbols.

Nearly every article I've read says I need to use "COFF" symbols but someone
in another newgroups told me that Dr. Watson does not use COFF symbols under
Win98, rather I must create a SYM file. I've tried that too to no avail.
I've tried every bit of advice I can find with no success. I've been working
on this for months.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get Dr. Watson to show me where my app is
crashing? Especially since I can't install the VC++ de{*filter*} on my users'
machines. As I mentioned I am using Win98 Second Edition.

Alternatively, is there any way my app can catch the crash itself so I can
log a stack trace?

Any and all replies are MUCH appreciated. Kindly reply by repost.

Thank you,

Barry

Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:35:51 GMT
 Dr. Watson won't show symbols
Please use the following steps to run your debug tool:

1)      Run ?drwtsn32 -i? to set Dr.Watson as your default debug tool.
2)      In Visual C++, Create a new project. Then go to menu
Project->Setting->Link->Category( select debug ), check ?Debug info? and
?Separate types?, select ?Both formats?.
3)      Go to Menu ?Build?, then ?Set Active Configuration? to ?Win32
Debug?.
4)      Create some codes that can produce ?Access Violation? in the project.
Build the project, and then run the .exe file in debug directory.
5)      Open Dr.Watson log file, you can see the name of the function that
caused the error.

I believe that the reason for your problem is that Dr.Watson hasn?t found
the symbol files of your project. So the log file didn?t contain the name
of the function that you created. BTW, In Dr.Watson, we can?t judge which
line of codes causes the error. If you want to tell which line causes the
error, you can use msdev or windbg as your default de{*filter*}.

yhhuang
ICQ:91074870

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:25:49 GMT
 Dr. Watson won't show symbols
Go to www.codeproject.com. There is an article how to handle SEExceptions.
Any way, in you situation - create a map file for you application. Then
record EIP address which is shown in Dr.Watson log.
Say, it is  00014baf. Then go to map file, find the nearest position before
your the EIP.

                14baf  - ------------ -   -

So, crash was in function BitsSetN, class CBitMap, module BitsMap.cpp.
Then you can go deeper. In you project press right mouse button on the file
BitsMap.cpp and set the listing files ON.
  "Settings->C/C++->Category-Listing Files->Listing file type -> Assembly,
Machine code and source".
Then right button again and compile.
Then find file BitsMap.cod.

COMDAT

              ; 34   :     {

                00000     55           push  ebp
                00001     8b ec       mov  ebp, esp
                00003     83 ec 44  sub  esp, 68   ; 00000044H
                00006     53           push  ebx
                00007     56           push  esi
                00008     57           push  edi
                00009     89 4d fc    mov  DWORD PTR _this$[ebp], ecx

              ; 35   :     if(val>=datasize-1)return -1;

                0000c     8b 45 fc      mov  eax, DWORD PTR _this$[ebp]
                0000f     8b 48 08      mov  ecx, DWORD PTR
x+8]    ------<<<<<<<Crash here, 0x14baf-0x14ba0==0x0f
                00012     83 e9 01     sub  ecx, 1

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I've written a multi-threaded MFC app that crashes on my users' computer
but
> not mine so I'm trying to use Dr. Watson to debug it (under Win98SE).
> However I cannot get Dr. Watson to report any symbols and I am at my wits
> end.

> I am using VC++6.0 and under "Project Settings" Link tab I've set "Debug
> Info" to "COFF Format" (I've also tried "Both formats"). Under the C++ tab
> I've set "Debug Info" to "C7 Compatible" (I've also tried "Program
> Database"). I've also set the settings described in various articles I've
> found in MSDN. However no matter what I do Dr. Watson NEVER includes any
> symbols in the dump.

> I've created a test app that I crash deliberately with strcpy(NULL, NULL).
> Dr. Watson pops up dutifully when it crashes, but I can't find my symbols.

> Nearly every article I've read says I need to use "COFF" symbols but
someone
> in another newgroups told me that Dr. Watson does not use COFF symbols
under
> Win98, rather I must create a SYM file. I've tried that too to no avail.
> I've tried every bit of advice I can find with no success. I've been
working
> on this for months.

> Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get Dr. Watson to show me where my app
is
> crashing? Especially since I can't install the VC++ de{*filter*} on my users'
> machines. As I mentioned I am using Win98 Second Edition.

> Alternatively, is there any way my app can catch the crash itself so I can
> log a stack trace?

> Any and all replies are MUCH appreciated. Kindly reply by repost.

> Thank you,

> Barry

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:57:45 GMT

1. Dr. Watson won't show symbols

2. Help - dr watson is not showing my symbols

3. Dr. Watson Symbols in Windows 98

4. Get Dr. Watson to display symbols

5. Displaying Symbols w/ Dr. Watson

6. How To Export Symbol Info To Dr.Watson's Log file

7. Newbie Q-howto find C source line from Dr. Watson AV address

8. Dr. Watson

9. Dr. Watson .dmp file

10. Dr. Watson from msjet35.dll

11. Dr. Watson Debugging Help Needed for VB

12. Dr. Watson does not display line nr.