release version with debug information?
Author Message
 release version with debug information?

Hello,
How can I make release version with debug information?
Thanks,
    Alex

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 release version with debug information?

Quote:

>How can I make release version with debug information?

In Project|Settings, on the C++ tab under general settings, change
the "debug info" selection for the release build from "none" to
"program database" to create a PDB file.

If you're building from the command line, just add one of the /Z
options.

--
 - Katy

Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 release version with debug information?

There are three things you should do to make a release
version with debug information. If you follow these steps
then the debug information will go in a separate file (the
.pdb file) and the executable will have about sixty bytes
added to it - no more. Therefore there is essentially zero
cost to having debug information on in release builds and
you should always do it. The steps are:

1) On the C/C++ tab for all librarys, DLLs and executables,
in the general category, set Debug Info to Program Database.
This tells the compiler to generate debug information.

2) On the link tab for all DLLs and executables, in the
general category, put a check mark beside Generate Debug
Info. This tells the linker to collate debug information into
.pdb files.

3) On the link tab, in the Project Options field, type in
"/OPT:REF". This tells the linker to continue optimizing
away unused code. This is the default when debug
information is turned off, but perversely defaults to off
you tell the linker to generate debug information. Failing
to specify this will cause your executables and DLLs to
get 10-20% larger.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
http://www.humongous.com/

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiling a release version exe with debug information

2. Debug version - Release version

3. Debug version ok but release version problem

4. Debug Version and Release Version

5. Win32 debug version and Win32 release version

6. Why the Font size is not same between Debug version and Release Version

7. Debug version Ok, Release version Failed

8. Debug version ok but release version problem

9. Debug version works, Release version does not?!

10. Released version programme is larger in size than the debug version one’s

11. the diffrence of the debug version and release version

12. Debug version works, Release version doesn't