Debugging programs with no debug information
Author Message
 Debugging programs with no debug information

How do you use the VC++ de{*filter*} to debug an executable with no debug information or that wasn't compiled in VC++? And what do you use to debug DOS programs?

I can find no mention of this in the VC++ documentation.

Proprietor
(Remove the "NOSPAM_" form the FROM field to reply directly)

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging programs with no debug information
On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 06:16:00 -0700, "Curtis Clauson"

Quote:

>How do you use the VC++ de{*filter*} to debug an executable with no debug information or that wasn't compiled in VC++? And what do you use to debug DOS programs?

>I can find no mention of this in the VC++ documentation.

what i typically do is to either: "msdev myprog.exe", or launch vc++,
'open workspace', and select the .exe file.

note that since no debugging info is present, you will most likely
only have assembly language code to debug, even if you have the actual
source code which was used.

greg priem                         kb0erz

bark, fido, bark [neither of us speak for my employer]

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging programs with no debug information
hi Curtis.

Quote:
>> How do you use the VC++ de{*filter*} to debug an executable with no debug

information

you can do this on assembly level but simply invoking the debuggee from the
de{*filter*}.

Quote:
>> or that wasn't compiled in VC++?

haven't tried, but assembly level should work too.

Quote:
>> And what do you use to debug DOS programs?

you need to use a de{*filter*} for 16bit apps; there's one in the vc 1.5x boxes.
vc2 and above do not support 16bit apps in any way.

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
thomas woelfer
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ? Installing Debugging Information / Symbolic Information

2. get debug information over serial information

3. Debug a none MFC program with the Debug Window

4. Getting debug information from application to assembly

5. C1067 : compile limit: debug information module size exceeded

6. Release of information about debugging

7. No matching symbolic information during debug.

8. Saving Debugging information to file?

9. debugging information

10. "can not find debug information" message

11. is there a debugging information for ole dlls...?

12. does not contain debugging information, why?