Need some advice on VC6 vs BCB5 please
Author Message
 Need some advice on VC6 vs BCB5 please

Hi,
Some quick info about me:
Somewhat knowledgeable dos programmmer, who uses
OOP style, prefers C++ type commands over C;
likes to incorporate some inline ASM into my 16bit programs,
which I compile currently using Borland C++ 5.02.
I use some unorthodox methods, ninja-like data hiding principles,
logical containment and structure.

Now that I am taking the plunge... into Windows programming,
I have decided that a more modern compiler to
enhance my learning curve would be helpful.

The choices are between the Pro versions of :
MSVisualC 6 and Borland C++ Builder 5.

Now I know that it is unlikely that many programmers have/use
more than one C++ development platform/compiler,
but on the slim chance that some have...
I am hoping someone that reads this can tell me from experience
about the debugging quality of VC6 compared to BCB5, or even
to the BC5.02 that I am using now.

What I want in a compiler platform:
1) An excellent/above average de{*filter*} so that even a dummy like myself
can find all those errors in my code or the mis-usage of others' code.
It should be relatively easy to use.

For example, my de{*filter*} in BC5.02
not only describes the quantity of errors and warnings,
but also will take me to each one in turn, in my source - so that I can
quickly determine what the underlying cause of the problem is.
Even if I just miss a semicolon, it takes me to the exact spot in the code,
and highlights it - this has worked well for me.
It has integral debugging built into the IDE.
I had the option of using breakpoints, but really never needed them.

That is the most important feature that I need.
Each compiler has its strengths and weakness,
but as a wise man once said,
"There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."
How does VC6 compare?
So could you give me details?  Lots of details...

I want more than just to rapidly build a program from a
compiler.  I want depth, capabilties, control, powerful debugging.

I want to create programs with unusual graphical capabilities,
and I may also want to have control over the lower levels of the OS/system.
Sort of like what can be done with Dos, if it can be done.
Unfortunately I don't know the extent of the capabilities of the various
Win32 programming methods.

I believe that I will be using API and DirectX programming
to develop some projects.

From what I think I know, it is not possible to
directly access hardware normally through either method,
as I would prefer. But they are the next best thing.

I really prefer to write my own code as opposed to using
others' code - mostly because I have a greater understanding
and control of the internals of the programs I create.

Curious: is inline ASM an option in Win32 programming?

I thank you for any replies,
Matt

ps: If you post, would you email me a wake-up call to stop back here
to read it? Get busy sometimes, Thanks.

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:31:21 GMT
 Need some advice on VC6 vs BCB5 please
I enjoy the MS De{*filter*} immensely.  MS's documentation (online):
http://www.*-*-*.com/
3a_.de{*filter*}.htm

16 bit inline ASM will probably not work.  I've always used 32 bit inline
for the instructions not available at the C/C++ level.  The IDE is 32 bit.

Since you have a current background, moving to MSVC++ won't be too
difficult.  All de{*filter*}s are basically the same.  My first happened to be
CodeView, but I've applied everything to other de{*filter*}s as well (MSVC,
Borland, Linux's various Visual De{*filter*}s, Code Warrior).  The only
exception seems to be DBX (but its not visual).

[...]

From what I think I know, it is not possible to
directly access hardware normally through either method,
as I would prefer. But they are the next best thing.

I really prefer to write my own code as opposed to using
others' code - mostly because I have a greater understanding
and control of the internals of the programs I create.

Curious: is inline ASM an option in Win32 programming?

I thank you for any replies,
Matt

ps: If you post, would you email me a wake-up call to stop back here
to read it? Get busy sometimes, Thanks.

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:49:11 GMT
 Need some advice on VC6 vs BCB5 please
The de{*filter*}s of BCB5 and VC6 are very similar in power with the MS de{*filter*}
being a little bit better but I don't think by much. Both the BCB5 and VC6
de{*filter*}s are very, very good. The BCB5 de{*filter*} is a definite improvement over
the the BC5.02 one, in many subtle areas.

As far as programming is concerned, my opinion is that BCB5, being a true RAD
environment, is much superior to VC6. Of course there is more specialized
Windows technologies built in to VC6, such as more complete support for ActiveX
and built-in support for MS's own databases and database technologies. As far
as jobs are concerned, VC6 dominates the industry. For pure pleasure and
enjoyment of RAD programming, and a vastly superior application framework, BCB5
can't be beat.

Quote:

> What I want in a compiler platform:
> 1) An excellent/above average de{*filter*} so that even a dummy like myself
> can find all those errors in my code or the mis-usage of others' code.
> It should be relatively easy to use.

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:38:11 GMT

1. Need advice on VC6 SP5

2. Need advice -- the best way to access database in MFC&VC6.0

3. I need your advice. PLEASE

4. Advice Please Really Need Help! :)

5. Need Help with array...Please Advice

6. C vs C++ urgently needed Please

7. help: Guru needed please please please

8. Advice on client/server vs device driver

9. ?Advice concerning use of Registry vs. Ini Files

10. Advice please

11. C# reference advice please

12. please help / advice