COM Port I/O with DEBUG.EXE
Author Message
 COM Port I/O with DEBUG.EXE

Hi,
I use DEBUG.exe on a NT 4, SP5 machine to output to com port 2, and read the
data back.
I get a extra byte before I get by data back.
I do it this way
c:\Debug
- o 2 FF
- i 2
00     <- This is a extra byte
- i 2
FF

After the second read the data comes back ??
Any help appreciated

Thanks and regards
Ajit

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 COM Port I/O with DEBUG.EXE
Ajit,

 > - o 2 FF

COM2 uses a series of registers starting (usually) at 2F8h. What you
call a "port", and what programmers (including the ones who did debug)
call a port are two different things.

--

Cheers,
Felix.

If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

No anti-spam address here. Just one comment: IN YOUR FACE!

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 COM Port I/O with DEBUG.EXE

Thanks Felix,
So could you guide me with a simple mechanism to write and read back from a
COM port.
Or how could I write to a "COM" port using debug ?

Thanks and regards
Ajit

Quote:
> Ajit,

>  > - o 2 FF

> COM2 uses a series of registers starting (usually) at 2F8h. What you
> call a "port", and what programmers (including the ones who did debug)
> call a port are two different things.

> --

> Cheers,
> Felix.

> If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

> No anti-spam address here. Just one comment: IN YOUR FACE!

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 COM Port I/O with DEBUG.EXE
Ajit,

 > Or how could I write to a "COM" port using debug ?

Get a good PC hardware reference; there is more to this than just
sending a byte to an I/O port -- transmission speed, parity and stop
bits, interrupt masks, a bunch of stuff needs to be initialised.

Personally, I would just fire up a good terminal emulator (my current
choice: CRT from http://www.vandyke.com/).

--

Cheers,
Felix.

If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

No anti-spam address here. Just one comment: IN YOUR FACE!

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. COM 2 Port debug <> release

2. get debug information over serial com port

3. Remote debugging COM component with DLLHOST.EXE /ProcessID

4. Remote debugging COM component with DLLHOST.EXE /ProcessID

5. breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

6. Debugging C++ COM EXE from VB client

7. Integrating debugging of client and COM exe

8. Remote debugging COM component with DLLHOST.EXE /ProcessID

9. Remote debugging COM component with DLLHOST.EXE /ProcessID

10. breakpoints aren't hit when debugging ATL/COM Service(EXE)

11. cant use application name when debugging com+ apps through dllhost.exe

12. Debugging a COM EXE