Debugging NT4 BSOD's
Author Message
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's

Hey,

Our project currently reproducibly BSOD's NT4 (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).
It does it on multiple machines with a diverse range of hardware, and also
crashes SP4,5 and 6, so we're pretty confident its not a hardware or device
driver problem.

The problem could be occuring in any number of places. Our log file normally
ends up corrupted, or missing the end, and its difficult to accertain from
this where the problem is occuring. I haven't tried the
FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH flag. I imagine this would improve the results, but
would it be a guarentee? I was also thinking about logging through a serial
port, would this be any better?

That being said, I'm wondering if knowing where the crash occured would help
at all, as the crash occurs a varying time after we press enter (the
processing of which is causing the BSOD).

Is there any online source of information on this? Like a list of ways NT
can be BSOD'ed would be handy, as I could see if any apply.

A collegue spent nearly a week debugging an unrelated crash where win95
would lock solid. It turns out it was to do with destroying a window that
had the input focus, but I haven't been able to reproduce this crash in any
other projects.

Deadlines are looming, and I would rather not dedicate another week (or
more) to sorting this one out.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's

Quote:

> Hey,

> Our project currently reproducibly BSOD's NT4 (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).
> It does it on multiple machines with a diverse range of hardware, and also
> crashes SP4,5 and 6, so we're pretty confident its not a hardware or device
> driver problem.

> The problem could be occuring in any number of places. Our log file normally
> ends up corrupted, or missing the end, and its difficult to accertain from
> this where the problem is occuring. I haven't tried the
> FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH flag. I imagine this would improve the results, but
> would it be a guarentee? I was also thinking about logging through a serial
> port, would this be any better?

> That being said, I'm wondering if knowing where the crash occured would help
> at all, as the crash occurs a varying time after we press enter (the
> processing of which is causing the BSOD).

> Is there any online source of information on this? Like a list of ways NT
> can be BSOD'ed would be handy, as I could see if any apply.

Windows NT Resource Kit, Chapter 38 - Windows NT Executive Messages
might turn out to be helpful (the chapter number is taken from MSDN 6,
so it may differ in different versions).

HTH,
        AriL
--
Pain and disappointment are inevitable. Misery is optional.
Homepaged at http://www.angelfire.com/or/lukumies

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's

Why not try a kernel de{*filter*} like SoftICE from NuMega (www.numega.com)

Keith

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's

Quote:

>> Is there any online source of information on this? Like a list of ways NT
>> can be BSOD'ed would be handy, as I could see if any apply.

>Windows NT Resource Kit, Chapter 38 - Windows NT Executive Messages
>might turn out to be helpful (the chapter number is taken from MSDN 6,
>so it may differ in different versions).

You might also set up a machine with the checked build of
NT 4 (if you haven't already). This version may catch an error
in the code before it gets to a blue screen.

If you don't have a copy, check with MS.

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's
Thanks,

I installed a debug/checked build of nt4, and debug/checked version of sp6.
It still blue screens in the same way in the same place. Is there some NT
log or something I should look at?

Andrew

Quote:

> >> Is there any online source of information on this? Like a list of ways
NT
> >> can be BSOD'ed would be handy, as I could see if any apply.

> >Windows NT Resource Kit, Chapter 38 - Windows NT Executive Messages
> >might turn out to be helpful (the chapter number is taken from MSDN 6,
> >so it may differ in different versions).

> You might also set up a machine with the checked build of
> NT 4 (if you haven't already). This version may catch an error
> in the code before it gets to a blue screen.

> If you don't have a copy, check with MS.

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging NT4 BSOD's

Quote:

> I installed a debug/checked build of nt4, and debug/checked version of sp6.
> It still blue screens in the same way in the same place. Is there some NT
> log or something I should look at?

Event Viewer should show something. Also, Control Panel -> System ->
Startup/Shutdown pane has options for storing debugging information to a
specified file. Search for dumpflop, dumpchk and dumpexam programs on
your NT CD.

Later,
        AriL
--
Pain and disappointment are inevitable. Misery is optional.
Homepaged at http://www.angelfire.com/or/lukumies

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debugging NT4 BSOD's

2. Anyone got any tips for debugging NT4 bsod's?

3. Can't enable debug symbols in C++ 5, NT4 SP4

4. BSOD - when debugging a dll

5. Debug Symbols (NT4 SP5)

6. NT4 - C++ 5 - installing debug symbols

7. NT4 SP4 Debug symbols for VC5 ?

8. Debugging D3D apps under NT4.0 SP3

9. Local debugging slow with VC5.0 on NT4 with DirectX3

10. debugging windows NT4.0 DLL

11. Help: Hello World debugging with NT4, VC++4.0

12. Crystal report doesn't load under WIN NT4 WORKSTATION