Call stack problems
Author Message
 Call stack problems

One of the changes when transitioning from VC4.x to VC5 is that if
you have run-time generated code and call to and from that code to
normal C routines, then the de{*filter*} call stack refuses to display
the backtrace through the section of generated code. Does anyone
know what criteria the de{*filter*} uses in VC5 to decide that the call
stack backtrace should stop?
Looking at the stack memory, the ebp linkage is fine, (and on VC4
the backtrace for the generated functions was shown as one or more
hex routine addresses) but the return addresses point to what was
run-time generated data. I would like to see (and debug) the normal
C routines that are higher in the backtrace (ie were called before the
generated routines). Does the de{*filter*} need a symbol in the .pdb
file to allow the backtrace to be shown? Anything I can do to get
round this?
I am running this in NT4(sp3) if this makes any difference, and I
have installed the sp1 pack to VC5.

William Charnell

Sat, 25 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Call Stack problems

2. destructor is called before copy-constructor on temporary class (allocated on stack during function call)

3. Showing Call Stack and Determine which object is not valid LARGE CHUNK OF CODE

4. Call Stack not showing up?

5. function pointers, casting, call stack overwriting

6. HELP:self loading parameters on stack before function call

7. help with loading call stack

8. Call Stack

9. How to get calling method stack trace

10. Recursive call and Stack

11. cleaning stack after a fn call

12. function pointers, casting, call stack overwriting