(1.52) CL returned error 2
Author Message
 (1.52) CL returned error 2

In Visual C++ version 1.52.  I am receiving a "CL returned error 2"
message at compile time.  Can't seem to find any help guides that
explain what this means.
Any clues?

Thanks

Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 (1.52) CL returned error 2

This means that there is some error occurring in the DOS box that the IDE
isn't aware of (VC++ uses a hidden DOS box to do its compiling).

You have a couple of things to try to get a better idea of what's happening.
First have VC++ display all the commands and startup info.  This should be
under the project->Settings menu, in the Compiler section.  Probably under
output or something (It's been a while since I used VC++ 1.52 sorry).  It's
a checkbox that says "Surpress startup banner" uncheck it.

If that doesn't help modify the link to VC++ and add a /V to the command
line.  the /V will create a window for the wintee program.  When you start
to compile you can switch to it and see what is happening in it.

General Things:
  Switch to a lower screen/color resolution.  Some video drivers have
problems with the hidden DOS box (if this is the case see if the video
vendor has a newer driver available).
  Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space on the drive where the
project is located and also the drive where your TMP (or TEMP) environment
variables are pointing (at least 20 megs on each drive)
  Lastly try to compile from a DOS box yourself.  Go to a DOS box run the
VCVARS.BAT program to setup the environment (if you get "out of environment"
then start the DOS box with more environment space [command.com /e:2048]).
Change to the directory with the project in it and type NMAKE /f PROJECT.MAK
(where PROJECT.MAK is the name of the mak file that VC++ created)

Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 (1.52) CL returned error 2

Thanks for the info....
Any idea what "BSCMAKE returned error code 4" means and how to fix it?

Quote:

> This means that there is some error occurring in the DOS box that the IDE
> isn't aware of (VC++ uses a hidden DOS box to do its compiling).

> You have a couple of things to try to get a better idea of what's happening.
> First have VC++ display all the commands and startup info.  This should be
> under the project->Settings menu, in the Compiler section.  Probably under
> output or something (It's been a while since I used VC++ 1.52 sorry).  It's
> a checkbox that says "Surpress startup banner" uncheck it.

> If that doesn't help modify the link to VC++ and add a /V to the command
> line.  the /V will create a window for the wintee program.  When you start
> to compile you can switch to it and see what is happening in it.

> General Things:
>   Switch to a lower screen/color resolution.  Some video drivers have
> problems with the hidden DOS box (if this is the case see if the video
> vendor has a newer driver available).
>   Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space on the drive where the
> project is located and also the drive where your TMP (or TEMP) environment
> variables are pointing (at least 20 megs on each drive)
>   Lastly try to compile from a DOS box yourself.  Go to a DOS box run the
> VCVARS.BAT program to setup the environment (if you get "out of environment"
> then start the DOS box with more environment space [command.com /e:2048]).
> Change to the directory with the project in it and type NMAKE /f PROJECT.MAK
> (where PROJECT.MAK is the name of the mak file that VC++ created)

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. (1.52) CL returned error 2

2. msvc 1.52, program not found 'cl'?

3. CL returned error code 4?

4. _filelength() returns -1 in C++ 1.52 DLL when called from VB 3.0

5. error PRJ0003: Error spawning 'cl.exe'.

6. Compile error: Error Spawning Cl.exe or link.exe

7. ODBC Open Error Version 1.52

8. Error C1050 MSVC 1.52

9. C1050 error in VC++ 1.52 (16 bits version)

10. Internal application error - VC++ 1.52

11. VC++ 1.52 Link error L2025...

12. GPF error in VER.DLL with VC++ 1.52