VC6 debugger: can't attach to process
Author Message
 VC6 debugger: can't attach to process

Hi all,

I've got an application which I must extend by a self-written DLL. The
mechanism works, but I now have to debug my DLL. The application is
started by a service listening for a particular network request, so I
cannot start it by hand, but I have to attach to a process.

Using VC6 SP4 under Windows 2000, I get an error message similar to
"Program cannot be executed" (I'm using the German VC6, so I don't now
its exact English equivalent) when I try to attach to the process.

Under Project->Settings->Debug->Additional DLLs, I've added my DLL, so
its symbols are loaded on attaching to the running process. On the debug
status pane, I can see that the DLL and its symbols are actually loaded.
With or without this setting, the error message stays the same.

My DLL is compiled and linked with debug information. In my DLL, I've
got an endless loop, which is intended to give me time to attach to the
process and to stop execution. Judging from Task Manager, this loop is
actually executed. Service and application are running under my user ID.

I remember that I've have used this technique on Windows NT 4.0 without
problems in a similar case.

Any hints ?

GRTX

Juergen Kuersch

        SAM Development, SYSTOR GmbH & Co. KG, Cologne, Germany
                        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6 debugger: can't attach to process
If possible, Try to create a standard exe just to test your dll (call your
dll's functions). Try to attach to it. If you succeed you may be pretty sure
that your DLL works.

And also you may debug that all with Team Remote De{*filter*} 2000 :-)

Take Care,

Dan
Chief Software Architect
Spline Technologies Corp.
"Achieve More!"

Team Remote De{*filter*} 2000 allows you and your team to trace any number of
code units of any kind (ASP,MTS,ActiveX Exe,DLL,COM,COM+,Stored
procedures,Thread,etc.), written in any language (ASP,VB,VC++,VJ,Delphi)
residing on multiple shared and dedicated servers at the same time fast,
easy, simple and exciting!

Check out
www.RemoteDe{*filter*}.com/index.html

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I've got an application which I must extend by a self-written DLL. The
> mechanism works, but I now have to debug my DLL. The application is
> started by a service listening for a particular network request, so I
> cannot start it by hand, but I have to attach to a process.

> Using VC6 SP4 under Windows 2000, I get an error message similar to
> "Program cannot be executed" (I'm using the German VC6, so I don't now
> its exact English equivalent) when I try to attach to the process.

> Under Project->Settings->Debug->Additional DLLs, I've added my DLL, so
> its symbols are loaded on attaching to the running process. On the debug
> status pane, I can see that the DLL and its symbols are actually loaded.
> With or without this setting, the error message stays the same.

> My DLL is compiled and linked with debug information. In my DLL, I've
> got an endless loop, which is intended to give me time to attach to the
> process and to stop execution. Judging from Task Manager, this loop is
> actually executed. Service and application are running under my user ID.

> I remember that I've have used this technique on Windows NT 4.0 without
> problems in a similar case.

> Any hints ?

> GRTX

> Juergen Kuersch

> --

>         SAM Development, SYSTOR GmbH & Co. KG, Cologne, Germany
>                         http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can't Attach to an Exception Process with VC6 + WinXP

2. under XP: VC6 JIT debugger does not attach properly when app launched with CTRL-F5

3. Visual C++ 6.0 attach to process debugger in Windows 2000

4. VC6 Problem : No process to attach to

5. MSDev vc6 - attach to process - set workspace ??

6. Attaching a debugger to a process from another computer

7. UNABLE TO ATTACH DEBUGGER TO AN ACTIVE PROCESS

8. cannot attach debugger to process - workaround

9. cannot attach debugger to process!

10. VC5.0 debugger hangs system process during attach.

11. can't attach debugger to dllhost

12. Attaching to a running process - can't get source