?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines
Author Message
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines

The current version of my application uses the Codebase 6 third-party
database engine (using VC++ 5 for the coding).  The dBase database it
manages can be used by up to about 100 users.

I'm about to start on the next version of my app, and need to decide
whether to continue with Codebase, or switch to something else.

Does VC++ 6 include everything I would need to manage a large database
(say 20,000 records) being used concurrently by many users?

Any other recommendations for third-party database engines?

Thanks,

--

- Alan Macy
  www.ResponsiveSoftware.com

Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines

Quote:
>Any other recommendations for third-party database engines?

Bullet.  Simple, effective, fast, small.

 Corne1 Huth    http://40th.com/    Bullet database engines/servers 3.0

Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines

Quote:

>Bullet.  Simple, effective, fast, small.

dont forget "lacking".

Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines

Quote:
>Does VC++ 6 include everything I would need to manage a large database
>(say 20,000 records) being used concurrently by many users?

20,000 records is miniscule when you're talking about an enterprise database
solution. when you get to 20 million, then you're talking large.

for 100 users, you should be looking at ORACLE or SQL Server 7.0 (please make
sure you get 7.0!).

in either case, VC++ 6.0 has more than enough power to let you write apps for
these RDBMS's. The ADO interface to these engines is the easiest to learn.

Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines

Quote:

> The current version of my application uses the Codebase 6 third-party
> database engine (using VC++ 5 for the coding).  The dBase database it
> manages can be used by up to about 100 users.

> I'm about to start on the next version of my app, and need to decide
> whether to continue with Codebase, or switch to something else.

> Does VC++ 6 include everything I would need to manage a large database
> (say 20,000 records) being used concurrently by many users?

We use VC++ 6.0 and Intersolve Sybase ODBC drivers with a database
consisting of over 3.5 million records spread over 30 tables (server side) and Access
with 150,000 records client side (same tables).  You will have no problems with 20,000
records even if you use Access as the database. (thought I would use Sybase or
SQL server)

You might want to take a look at ADO to handle everything.  MS will not be making
any improvments on DAO, and ADO is the (microsoft) way for the future of
data access.  We have made the jump to ADO and will never (never say never) return
to DAO.

Bob

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Seeking Recommendations re: Third Party Database Engines
Thanks, Bob.  Can you give me an idea of the cost?  Also, is the installation at the end
user site problematic?

Quote:

--

- Alan Macy
  http://www.ResponsiveSoftware.com

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Seeking third party windows control

2. Third party component set opinions

3. How to link third party .LIB files

4. How to link third party .LIB files

5. Importing third party interfaces that have the same name into an IDL file

6. First-chance exception in third-party DLL

7. Third party DCOM referrals?

8. debugging 'third party' *.exe

9. Looking for third party tool

10. First-chance exception in third-party DLL

11. How do I Link with a third party static C library

12. Importing some functions from a third-party DLL