cannot read long varchar field values from ADO Recordsets
Author Message
 cannot read long varchar field values from ADO Recordsets

Hi,

We are working on a project with tables that contain very long strings
(2000+ characters).  Each table contains at most one such string field.  The
database is currently on SQL Server and we plan to move to Oracle.

The problem is whenever we try to read the long string values out a
recordset.  Everything works fine until we attempt to retrieve the Value()
of the Field object corresponding to the long string.  The function fails
and the Errors collection simply tells us that "Errors Occurred".  Not very
helpful.

Initially we were using the ODBC-pass-through driver and were finding this
problem.  Then we switched to the direct SQLServer OLEDB driver (SQLOLEDB)
and everything worked fine.

Now however, we are moving to Oracle and find that NONE of the drivers we
use can make ADO Recordsets pull this string data out properly.   Not the
ODBC-pass through driver, not Microsoft's Oracle OLEDB driver, and not
Informix's driver either.   Oracle does not offer an OLEDB driver of its
own.

Is there some special trick to pulling these values out and putting them in
using ADO recordsets

I would appreciate any help that would allow me to continue using ADO
recordsets.  I really want to avoid having to code SQL directly, if at all
possible, as I am on a deadline

Thanks

Joe O'Leary

Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to get fields value from ado recordset?

2. How can get field binding of recordset in ADO by wizard

3. ADO Field Append and creating a disconnected recordset

4. How to add another field in ADO recordset?

5. HELP: Problem with Recordset->Fields(index)->Value

6. Newbie: How do I get the value of a recordset field

7. Newbie: How do I get the value of a recordset field

8. EVC ADOCE Recordset get value from data field

9. SQL datetime field returned as long by ADO ?

10. Retrieve value from Oracle Long via Recordset

11. addition long values to long double value ?

12. Problems getting values from ADO Recordset