database interface
Author Message
 database interface

Been I awhile since interfaced to databases.  Whats the best way to do it in
C++ with ODBC or ADO or what.

Also is the Jet Engine still the only FREE choice?

I need field lengths of about 16K characters.

Thanks,

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:51:42 GMT
 database interface
ADO will work fine.  ODBC is more the connection protocol, not really the
API.  I use OLE/DB instead of ODBC because it doesn't require all those
{*filter*} connection things to be set up on client's machines; plus, it seems to
work faster for me.  That might be the API...

I use ATL Data consumers for my RM queries, you can use attributes and
develop code RAD-style real easily.

What do you mean by "free"?  Jet access MS Access-style MDB/MDE files.
Access is rather not free.  You can use the MSDE that comes with some
versions of VS, serious DB apps should use SQL Server or Oracle imho...

Most SQL accessible databases limit SELECT responses to 8000 bytes afaik.
You'll have to either break your data into rows of 8000 bytes each or use
extended fields via classes like CLongBinary (SQL Server types varbinary,
etc).

hth,
-Dale

Quote:
> Been I awhile since interfaced to databases.  Whats the best way to do it
in
> C++ with ODBC or ADO or what.

> Also is the Jet Engine still the only FREE choice?

> I need field lengths of about 16K characters.

> Thanks,

Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:20:47 GMT

1. Help with database interface

2. Database Interfacing in C?

3. How to achieve database interface in Control?

4. The best database interface in MFC

5. Are there any public domain database interface for C?

6. Internet Interfaces to Databases

7. Interface Sharing of Database Connection

8. Compacting/repairing database through ADO interface in a VC++ project

9. interfacing a Microsoft Access Database

10. Compact/Repair database through ADO interface in MFC project

11. Interfacing with MS Access Databases

12. Database stored procedure w/ ADO COM interface