ADO Update very slow against SQL Server 6.5
Author Message
 ADO Update very slow against SQL Server 6.5

I'm using ADO 1.5 in VC++ (with the #import trick) to read and write to
various databases, notably Access and SQL Server 6.5.  Read performance is
good against both; write performance is good against the Access database,
but very slow against SQL Server 6.5. Identical code is probably 10x - 100x
slower against SQL Server 6.5 than it is against Access. The problem gets
worse as the database gets larger -- exactly the opposite of what I'd
expect!

Does anyone have any ideas why SQL Server 6.5 would be so much slower than
Access 97?  Is the OLE DB provider for SQL Server 6.5 known to be slow? Are
there tricks every SQL Server database programmer should know? Any thoughts
at all?

Thanks,

Jim

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO Update very slow against SQL Server 6.5

Responding to my own message --

Supplementing and refining the indices in my SQL Server 6.5 database helped
significantly. It's still not as fast as Access, but it's not longer
completely out of the ballpark.

Jim

Sat, 22 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL Server 6.5/ ADO

2. ADO/ SQL SErver 6.5/ VC5.0

3. VC5 /SQL Server 6.5/ ADO

4. Text feild in SQL 6.5 using ADO

5. sql server version 6.5 problems

6. SQLConnect behaviour (MS SQL Server 6.5)

7. PROBLEM: Accessing SQL SERVER 6.5 from 16 bit ODBC Application (VC++ 1.5)

8. DAO vs ODBC for SQL Server 6.5

9. Connection is busy with results - VC++ 1.52, SQL Server 6.5, ODBC

10. Wrong German Umlaute in SQL SERVER 6.5 (NT)

11. VC++ Enterprise boxed with MS SQL Server, Developer Edition 6.5

12. CLongBinary SQL Server 6.5 Images