Help for the performance OLE DB vs ODBC
Author Message
 Help for the performance OLE DB vs ODBC

Hi, All

I've got some questions about the performance issue for
VC++ data access technology here. We've been developing a
database application using VC++ and ODBC(SQL Server
2000),  the performance is quite a concern all the time
but we feel somehow the ODBC calls cause the bottleneck.
Some benchmark testing has been performed, for example,
the speed to process records without any database
communication is around 8000 recs/sec, but when we put
even one ODBC call(such as SQLDirectExec) inside the
application the speed was dramatically down to 500
recs/sec. It's kinda frustrating because inside our
application there're a lot of ODBC calls , it seems to be
impossible for us to improve the application performance
up to let's say 1000 recs/sec by using ODBC.

Recently we decided to move forward to use OLE DB to
replace ODBC because we have been told the OLE DB native
calls are much faster than ODBC because of less layers. So
we migrate some of our applications to use SQLOLEDB (OLE
DB native for SQL 2000).  Surprisingly the same testing
when we did using SQLOLEDB, the speed was even slower than
ODBC under the exactly same environment, only around 250
recs/sec. Now it's doubtful whether it's true that OLE DB
is more efficient than ODBC in terms of performance, or
there're something we don't know about in order to get
great performance using OLE DB technology in VC++ such as
configuration, or attributes setting.

I'll really appreciate if you can give us some advice,
especially if you have the same experience before. Thanks
a lot.

Alex

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:21:23 GMT
 Help for the performance OLE DB vs ODBC
Hi, Alex:
    In general, OLEDB is not dramatically faster than ODBC. The both should
have similar performance. But SQL Server OLEDB is indeed about 20% faster
than its ODBC driver. I hope that the site,
http://www.geocities.com/oledbpro/docs/ways_to_improve_performance.htm, is
useful to you.

--
Yuancai (Charlie) Ye
See 30 OLEDB samples

Quote:
> Hi, All

> I've got some questions about the performance issue for
> VC++ data access technology here. We've been developing a
> database application using VC++ and ODBC(SQL Server
> 2000),  the performance is quite a concern all the time
> but we feel somehow the ODBC calls cause the bottleneck.
> Some benchmark testing has been performed, for example,
> the speed to process records without any database
> communication is around 8000 recs/sec, but when we put
> even one ODBC call(such as SQLDirectExec) inside the
> application the speed was dramatically down to 500
> recs/sec. It's kinda frustrating because inside our
> application there're a lot of ODBC calls , it seems to be
> impossible for us to improve the application performance
> up to let's say 1000 recs/sec by using ODBC.

> Recently we decided to move forward to use OLE DB to
> replace ODBC because we have been told the OLE DB native
> calls are much faster than ODBC because of less layers. So
> we migrate some of our applications to use SQLOLEDB (OLE
> DB native for SQL 2000).  Surprisingly the same testing
> when we did using SQLOLEDB, the speed was even slower than
> ODBC under the exactly same environment, only around 250
> recs/sec. Now it's doubtful whether it's true that OLE DB
> is more efficient than ODBC in terms of performance, or
> there're something we don't know about in order to get
> great performance using OLE DB technology in VC++ such as
> configuration, or attributes setting.

> I'll really appreciate if you can give us some advice,
> especially if you have the same experience before. Thanks
> a lot.

> Alex

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:02:15 GMT

1. the performance of OLE DB, ADO, ODBC, DAO

2. performance tests... ADO vs OLE DB

3. OLE/DB vs ODBC

4. OLE/DB vs ODBC

5. ODBC vs OLE DB

6. OLE DB Technology vs. ODBC

7. ODBC vs OLE DB

8. ODBC <-> OLE DB

9. .Net support for OLE DB Provider for ODBC sources

10. OLE DB Provider for ODBC drivers

11. Calling ODBC-OLE DB Bridge from ATL code

12. OLE DB, ADO, ODBC, I need some guide!