What Database?
Author Message
 What Database?

After reading this newsgroups there appears to be a general agreement
(which I have found also) as to the performance of using ACCESS as a
database in a Windows environment.

I have moved from developing in ACCESS to VB and now C++ due to
performance reasons. I don't want to develop in C++ and still be limited
by a database performance issue.

Is this a valid view?
Does Microsoft SQL Server (as a database) overcome performance issues?
Are there other DB platforms that have better performance than ACCESS?

Thanks for your comments.
Brian

Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 What Database?

Quote:

> Does Microsoft SQL Server (as a database) overcome performance issues?
> Are there other DB platforms that have better performance than ACCESS?

As with most everything in life, welcomet to the world of trade-offs.  SQL
Server is certainly faster (4-5 x in our conversion from Access 2.0 to SQL
6.5) if properly used. There is more to deal with under SQL, including the
fact that you must now have an NT server, which is not a requirement under
Access.

If your one and only goal is performance, SQL server will win every time.
If it's price or ease of maintenance, it will lose every time. If it's a
combination, which I'm sure it is, the answer is not so straightforward.

I know that isn't the answer you were looking for.. maybe this will help.
Check out SQL Server 6.5 Unleashed (SAMS). This is THE BEST book on SQL
Server there is. There are lots of sections about proper design, etc. if
you decide to go this route.

David.

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 What Database?

Quote:

>> Does Microsoft SQL Server (as a database) overcome performance issues?
>> Are there other DB platforms that have better performance than ACCESS?

>As with most everything in life, welcomet to the world of trade-offs.  SQL
>Server is certainly faster (4-5 x in our conversion from Access 2.0 to SQL
>6.5) if properly used. There is more to deal with under SQL, including the
>fact that you must now have an NT server, which is not a requirement under
>Access.

Database performance is highly application dependent. Some
applications are interactive while others are heavily batch oriented.
Even batch type application differ in their processing patterns. To
counter these issues, I did lots of testing using both ODBC and stored
procedures to do bill of materials type processing against SQL Server,
Access and Oracle. My conclusion was that performance stinks in this
particular application for all three databases (compared to accessing
flat files with hash indexes).

With ODBC and C++, you can use the same (or similar) code to work with
both Access and SQL Server. This will allow you to defer your
performance concerns until later (or to the customer). Sometimes
performance concerns outweigh the benefits provided by traditional
databases.

PJ

http://www.exemplarsoftware.com

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to Backup the Contacts Database、Tasks Database、Appointment Database

2. Error in VC5.0 DATABASE project trying to use a DATABASE DIAGRAM

3. alt.comp.databases,comp.databases,comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

4. Database/Database Server Blocking.

5. Creating a new database with DAO (Other than Microsoft Jet Database)

6. How do you access remote databases where the database is not registed in the local ODBC

7. Database settings -- Visual C++ used with Visual FoxPro database

8. How to access Custom Database Properties of a Access 97 database programmatically

9. Create database without using VC++ database tools

10. Developing one DLL in two environments (Test server+database, Production server+database)- VC++ 6.0, OLEDB, ATL COM, ASP

11. Developing one DLL in two environments (Test server+database, Production server+database)- VC++ 6.0, OLEDB, ATL COM, ASP

12. Creating a new database... Database gurus, where are you?