Can Visual FoxPro ODBC driver produce old (2.x) dbf tables?
Author Message
 Can Visual FoxPro ODBC driver produce old (2.x) dbf tables?

Hi netters,

I am using Visual FoxPro ODBC driver, MSDAQSL provider, and the ADO
objects (and VC++ 6) to access and create free dbf tables.  It works
quite fine.  However, the application has to cooperate also with
some older application.  It is written in (DOS) FoxPro and it needs
the DBF tables in the older format.

I still did not find a way, how to tell the VFPODBC(.dll) driver to
produce result in the older format. It is able to read the older
format; however, is it possible also to tell the driver somehow to
PRODUCE the older format?

I am planning to migrate to the SQL server later, so the application
tends to use SQL-like commands ("INSERT INTO mytab (x, y, z) VALUES
(1, 2, 3)", etc.). I do not know any way to tell the driver of what
version the tables should be. Is it possible?

The documentation in MSDN Library for Visual FoxPro says that it is
possible to convert new tables to older format using COPY TO command
with the TYPE clause, like:

   COPY TO fp26tabl.dbf NEXT 0 TYPE FOX2X

However, this is the command of the Visual FoxPro. I guess that it
is not possible to use it in VFPODBC driver without V.FoxPro
environment (i.e. from C++ application). But it may be the case that
the driver can be switched somehow to produce the older format.
Could you help here?

Thanks for any help,

                       Petr
--
Petr Prikryl, Skil s.r.o., e-mail: skil at stbk dot mcs dot cz
  Please, don't reply via e-mail as more people share the address.

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Visual FoxPro ODBC driver produce old (2.x) dbf tables?
I don't think you can.
-Anders

Quote:
> Hi netters,

> I am using Visual FoxPro ODBC driver, MSDAQSL provider, and the ADO
> objects (and VC++ 6) to access and create free dbf tables.  It works
> quite fine.  However, the application has to cooperate also with
> some older application.  It is written in (DOS) FoxPro and it needs
> the DBF tables in the older format.

> I still did not find a way, how to tell the VFPODBC(.dll) driver to
> produce result in the older format. It is able to read the older
> format; however, is it possible also to tell the driver somehow to
> PRODUCE the older format?

> I am planning to migrate to the SQL server later, so the application
> tends to use SQL-like commands ("INSERT INTO mytab (x, y, z) VALUES
> (1, 2, 3)", etc.). I do not know any way to tell the driver of what
> version the tables should be. Is it possible?

> The documentation in MSDN Library for Visual FoxPro says that it is
> possible to convert new tables to older format using COPY TO command
> with the TYPE clause, like:

>    COPY TO fp26tabl.dbf NEXT 0 TYPE FOX2X

> However, this is the command of the Visual FoxPro. I guess that it
> is not possible to use it in VFPODBC driver without V.FoxPro
> environment (i.e. from C++ application). But it may be the case that
> the driver can be switched somehow to produce the older format.
> Could you help here?

> Thanks for any help,

>                        Petr
> --
> Petr Prikryl, Skil s.r.o., e-mail: skil at stbk dot mcs dot cz
>   Please, don't reply via e-mail as more people share the address.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DAO & Visual FoxPro 5.0 tables (DBF)

2. Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver for Alpha

3. CRecordset class & Visual Foxpro ODBC driver

4. ODBC Driver for Visual Foxpro

5. ODBC: Update() on visual FoxPro table limits?

6. NEWBIE: ODBC or DAO to read and update FoxPro dbf

7. how: pack foxpro dbf with ODBC SQL ?

8. Visual FoxPro ISAM Driver for DAO

9. Bug in Visual FoxPro driver

10. ODBC and foxpro tables

11. FoxPro Tables and ODBC

12. Newbie Fast ODBC updates to Visual FoxPro ?