Newbie - help required with web integration
Author Message
 Newbie - help required with web integration

I am developing a web-based system for staff timetables etc The system will
use a database. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/book
or something that will help me get started with integrating websites and
databases. I know the basics - retrieving information, basic SQL and HTML
but I have no experience creating interactive web elements that will enable
the user to alter database entries.

TIA

Dave

Thu, 01 Jan 2004 05:17:35 GMT
 Newbie - help required with web integration

: I am developing a web-based system for staff timetables etc The system will
: use a database. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/book
: or something that will help me get started with integrating websites and
: databases. I know the basics - retrieving information, basic SQL and HTML
: but I have no experience creating interactive web elements that will enable
: the user to alter database entries.

http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql

HTH.

Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:21:31 GMT
 Newbie - help required with web integration
Check out Webdata and Webdata Pro http://webteacher.com/webdata
It is easy to install, and all administration is done through a web
browser.

Rob Young

Quote:

> I am developing a web-based system for staff timetables etc The system will
> use a database. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/book
> or something that will help me get started with integrating websites and
> databases. I know the basics - retrieving information, basic SQL and HTML
> but I have no experience creating interactive web elements that will enable
> the user to alter database entries.

> TIA

> Dave

Webteacher Software, LLC
'Webdata' - the first EASY database for the web
'JavaScript for the Total Non-Programmer'
'CGI for the Total Non-Programmer'

http://www.webteacher.com

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:44:15 GMT
 Newbie - help required with web integration

Quote:

> I am developing a web-based system for staff timetables etc The system will
> use a database. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/book
> or something that will help me get started with integrating websites and
> databases. I know the basics - retrieving information, basic SQL and HTML
> but I have no experience creating interactive web elements that will enable
> the user to alter database entries.

I'm sorry I cannot guide you to any tutorial or whatever answering
your question in general.  This of course doesn't mean there is none -
but that may well be the case because what you refer to as
"interactive web elements" is completely dependent on how your
user-data-interaction or, more technically speaking, communication
between web server and database server, is designed and implemented.
This may be more or less integrated with the web server or with the
data server, may be more or less platform-dependent, may use an
HTML-embedded instruction set only or an additional programming
interface, whose code may be precompiled or interpreted, etc.

The PrimeBase Application Server is one very effective and extremely
flexible way of providing that kind of intermediate layer.  It is
developed side by side with the fast and reliable PrimeBase SQL
Database Server but interacts fine with just about any other SQL
database.  On the web side, it collaborates with Apache as well as MS
Internet Server, but provides its own web server as well (mostly for
development purposes).  It works on any widely used platform from
Win95 to IBM's S/390 by means of its own virtual machine.
Applications are written in PrimeBaseTalk, a proprietary extension of
Apple's DAL.  You usually do this by employing PrimeBase Enterprise
Objects, a complete framework supplied with sources and thus allowing
easy extension by subclassing (in a very Java-like syntax) for
whatever purpose.  PBT applications use the unique LiveTag(tm)
technology, reducing HTML extensions to an absolute minimum which
allows you to completely dispense with JavaScript, Cookies a.o.
(without keeping you from using as much of those techniques as you
think necessary, of course).  This also allows keeping content and
layout clearly separated, and using whatever HTML tool you (or whoever
does the web design) are used to.

The whole thing is easy to install and reasonably priced, developer
keys available for free.  You can download it from
http://www.primebase.com/ .  Please have a look at the documentation
provided there and feel free to contact me in case of any further
questions.

Anders Khne

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:23:53 GMT

1. Help Required regarding VC++7 Web Service Env.

2. Help required for newbie

3. Newbie requires mouse help

4. DOS newbie help required

5. DOS newbie help required

6. ActiveX Web Integration

7. DLL Queries -- Newbie Help Required

8. ActiveX Web Integration

9. Web Integration

10. Weird IIS Configuration Required to Use Web Services?

11. Newbie very puzzled - no cast required??

12. Newbie requires source etc