"... required resource..." error message
Author Message
 "... required resource..." error message

I have two Visual C++ applications that were developed
using the MFC object CDaoRecordSet. They ran fine under
Windows 95 and 98. And I think they were okay under ME
but didn't have extensive testing on that platform. When
I move the apps to Windows XP however I keep getting a
corrupted error message. Only part of it is displayed.
The part that is displayed says "A required resource
was .....". The application starts flickering and if you
don't end the task via task manager (exit doesn't work at
this point) you could hang the system. Also note worthy
is the fact that the error only occurs after you have
been working on the app for an extended period of time
(like half an hour) and the error can occur when you
haven't touched the keyboard for several minutes. I
suspect that something isn't being cleaned up as the
programs are using the database. I have searched all of
my literature on MSDN help and on the MS support site and
can not find anywhere that the error conditions either
from the Jet engine or the CDAORecordSet are defined. Any
ideas what is causing this or where I can find writeups
on the error conditions???

Thanks for any help
Neil

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:07:40 GMT
 "... required resource..." error message
Hello,

The message you are getting "A required resource was" is probably due to
the fact that you are running out of resource memory.  Resources are
allocated from a special pool on Windows 95, and failing to free unused
memory will exhaust this resource.  The types of things that eat this
resource up are GDI objects, fonts, bitmaps, icons, dialogs, etc.  You
should always free these objects before allocating them again.  To
determine if this is indeed what is happening, you can run the resource
meter which I believe is included on the Windows 95 disk and installed in
the accessories folder.  If you haven't installed it, you can use
Add/Remove Programs to get it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Max
==========================

--------------------

|Subject: "... required resource..." error message
|Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:07:40 -0800

|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.database
|
|I have two Visual C++ applications that were developed
|using the MFC object CDaoRecordSet. They ran fine under
|Windows 95 and 98. And I think they were okay under ME
|but didn't have extensive testing on that platform. When
|I move the apps to Windows XP however I keep getting a
|corrupted error message. Only part of it is displayed.
|The part that is displayed says "A required resource
|was .....". The application starts flickering and if you
|don't end the task via task manager (exit doesn't work at
|this point) you could hang the system. Also note worthy
|is the fact that the error only occurs after you have
|been working on the app for an extended period of time
|(like half an hour) and the error can occur when you
|haven't touched the keyboard for several minutes. I
|suspect that something isn't being cleaned up as the
|programs are using the database. I have searched all of
|my literature on MSDN help and on the MS support site and
|can not find anywhere that the error conditions either
|from the Jet engine or the CDAORecordSet are defined. Any
|ideas what is causing this or where I can find writeups
|on the error conditions???
|
|Thanks for any help
|Neil

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:15:25 GMT

1. CStatic+CBitmap "A resource was required"

2. CStatic + CBitmap "A resource was required"

3. CStatic+CBitmap "A required was required"

4. Error "free"-ing "malloc"-ed memory

5. "Not a typewriter" error message

6. Q: Error message "Multiple rows updated"???

7. Error message: "Interface not registered"

8. "Cannot save file" error message

9. "Cannot save file" error message

10. Troubles with "lvalue missing" error message

11. "constant expression required" and FAQ 6.11

12. Help Required with curses "setattr"