Recordset and multi-user databases
Author Message
 Recordset and multi-user databases

I have a need to know if a table or recordset in a database has been
modified by another client. I would prefer not to poll the database.
What standard techniques are there to do this?

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Recordset and multi-user databases

Quote:

>I have a need to know if a table or recordset in a database has been
>modified by another client. I would prefer not to poll the database.
>What standard techniques are there to do this?

On technique would be to include an audit field in each table. Store
the value, re-read the record, if they match it hasn't been changed.
Then save your changes, remembering to update the audit field.

HTH

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Recordset and multi-user databases

If I understand correctly I would still need to check this field either
on user action (scrolling through records) or on a timer. The
application I have in mind is different from this, needing to be
informed by event if changes had been made to the table. An application
which displayed stock exchange prices would be similar.
The Microsoft ADO Data Control v6.0 has the type of thing I think I am
looking for i.e. a RecordsetChangeComplete event but I presume this only
works for changes that the container of that control submits, rather
than oher clients writing to the database.

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access-Database size grows in multi-user mode

2. Database Connectivity: Multi-User Issues

3. Multi record sets and multi databases

4. Multi record sets and multi databases

5. Q: DAO Recordset updates in a multiuser environment

6. In CRecordset, can i open multi recordset??Thank you

7. Multi Threaded ODBC Problem in Recordset

8. DATABASE ACCESS USING RECORDSET & NO RECORDVIEW

9. Connection to database and obtaining a recordset

10. database and recordsets

11. Using a single database connection to access multiple snapshot recordsets

12. problems with a recordset of a database...