ODBC Access driver on peer-to-peer help
Author Message
 ODBC Access driver on peer-to-peer help

I have a customer that wishes to use a database on a Windows 95
peer-to-peer network.  I have done everything I can in attempt to convince
them to buy a server, but to no avail.  As a result, I must use the drivers
supplied with Visual C++ and/or the ODBC SDK 3.0.

I have two concerns:
        1) Is it possible to use the MS Access driver supplied in the ODBC SDK
(either 2.10 or 3.0) and with Visual C++ to access a common DB file on a
peer-to-peer network without purchasing any other software (I can't even
get the customer to buy a copy of Office!)?
        2) If this setup is possible, what is the best way to configure the ODBC
drivers?  The only possibility I have been able to come up with is
configuring each client's driver as a system DSN and use the same DB file
located over the network. I know this will be very slow, but will this
eventually cause other problems or become unstable? Is there a better way,
short of forcing the customer to shell out the $4,000 for SQL server and NT
server and buy a machine to run it on?

Please forgive my ignorance, I have not used the Access driver before, and
cannot find good documentation on using it in Client/Server applications or
in any other network situations.

the end of February.

Thank you,

Pancrace R.

Shakha Technologies
Relocating to Santa Fe, New Mexico, elevation 7,500 ft.
(Oregon is flooding, we're leaving!)

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Peer to Peer/P2P or File Sharing

2. peer to peer chat

3. Peer to peer Asynchronous socket sample???

4. Peer to peer board game - possible remoting question or design question

5. alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

6. Peer to peer DCOM

7. Peer to Peer...

8. Peer-to-peer name resolution with Sockets

9. peer to peer and winsockets

10. Peer to Peer operation sequence for seting up communication

11. ODBC Version conflict after installing PEER Web Services on NT Workstation 4.0

12. ODBC Version conflict after installing PEER Web Services on NT Workstation 4.0