CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK
Author Message
 CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK

I installed the ODBC 3.0 SDK and now our System DSNs can't be opened by
a CDatabase object!

Visual Basic appears to open the database just fine, but
CDatabase::OpenEx throws an exception saying the datasource can't be
found.  If I let it display the connect dialog, I get the 'Select Data
Source' window.

According to the documentation, there should not be any compatibility
issues with ODBC 2.x drivers (we tried Access, SQL Server, and Sybase
SQL).

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Sun, 01 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK

Quote:

> I installed the ODBC 3.0 SDK and now our System DSNs can't be opened by
> a CDatabase object!

> Visual Basic appears to open the database just fine, but
> CDatabase::OpenEx throws an exception saying the datasource can't be
> found.  If I let it display the connect dialog, I get the 'Select Data
> Source' window.

Tried using the old 'CDatabase::Open' function and it worked fine.

What is the deal Microsoft?  Introduce a new function and then render it
obsolete, really cool...

MC

Mon, 02 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK

OpenEx does not like the "ODBC;" prefix.

Mon, 02 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK

Try taking out the DSN= prefix if you have it...

Quote:
> I installed the ODBC 3.0 SDK and now our System DSNs can't be opened by
> a CDatabase object!

> Visual Basic appears to open the database just fine, but
> CDatabase::OpenEx throws an exception saying the datasource can't be

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CDatabase Can't Open System DSN with ODBC 3.0 SDK

Quote:

> I installed the ODBC 3.0 SDK and now our System DSNs can't be opened by
> a CDatabase object!

> Visual Basic appears to open the database just fine, but
> CDatabase::OpenEx throws an exception saying the datasource can't be
> found.  If I let it display the connect dialog, I get the 'Select Data
> Source' window.

> According to the documentation, there should not be any compatibility
> issues with ODBC 2.x drivers (we tried Access, SQL Server, and Sybase
> SQL).

> Thanks in advance,
> Martin

I think ODBC 3.0 is a beta. I have had some more problems with ODBC-Api

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. DSN less ODBC with CDatabase

2. Problems with MSDEV 4.2 AND ODBC SDK 3.0

3. Problem linking w/ Odbc 3.0 SDK library

4. ODBC 3.0 SDK and NT 4.0 problems (SQLSetConnectionOption failed)

5. Unable to open ODBC file dsn using OpenEx method

6. ODBC 3.0 SDK and NT 4.0 problems (SQLSetConnectionOption failed)

7. ODBC SYSTEM DSN

8. ODBC SYSTEM DSN???

9. System Palette Mod under Windows SDK ver 3.0?

10. CDatabase::Open() Supress the System MsgBox??

11. Programatically Creating System DSN's

12. ODBC 3.0 SDK differences between one on Microsoft's ODBC web site and one on VC5 Pro CD