Help: Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO?
Author Message
 Help: Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO?

Hi world,

sorry but I'm very confused about all the informations I found about
"Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO". It's all new stuff for me - therefore
I hope that anyone can give a summary or overview what I have to do and what
versions of this components (very important) I have to use.

Til now I have written a COM object in VC++ which uses the ADO 1.5
funtionality to get informations from a Oracle 7.3 database. To connect the
database I use the ADO object "connection" for each database connection.

In the moment I use the following setup:

NT 4 (SP 3)
Oracle database (7.3.2.3.13)
SQL * Net (3.3.2.0.2)
Microsoft ODBC for Oracle (2.73.728303)
ADO (1.5)

This works fine - but now we plan to use the MTS because we want to use the
connection pool for the database connection. In the moment we have installed
the MTS version 1.1. And this is the start of my questions what I have to do
to use all the pros of the MTS in my situation...

- Do I have to use MTS 2.0 or MTS 1.1? ( I read that I have to use MTS 2.0 -
but why?)

- What I have to do to install MTS 2.0? (I read about problems installing
the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack and the MTS 2.0)

- What ODBC driver I have to do to use ADO and to connect the Oracle
database? ( I read that this must be a ODBC 3.0 driver - where I can get
this? From Oracle, from MS? Which is the correct driver?)

- What I have to do to use the connection pool in MTS? Do I have to change
any parts in my application?

I want to thank you in advance,
Tommy

Thomas K?hler, Systeme & Netzwerke GmbH
Klingenderstrasse 5, D-33100 Paderborn
Tel: +49-5251-1581-29 Fax: +49-5251-1581-71

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO?

Hi Thomas,
I can't say I've done much programming in this area but I read the MTS
chapter in my VB book and this is what I picked up:

1.  Any com object should work under mts, but you will only be taking
advantage of the thread pooling capabilities.
2. To take advantage of connection pooling, you should only connect to the
database when you need data, ie, establish a connection at the start of each
function and release it before you return.
3. To take advantage of object pooling, you can have your object release
itself early by opening an interface to mts and letting it know.  I didn't
quite understand or remember this one, but it somehow keeps the number
instances of objects under control.

The book also said that these middle tier object under mts control should be
stateless.  I think this was a requirement for object pooling.

Of course this all could be BS because I've never tried any of this at
all...

Good Luck,
Dan.

Quote:

>Hi world,

>sorry but I'm very confused about all the informations I found about
>"Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO". It's all new stuff for me -
therefore
>I hope that anyone can give a summary or overview what I have to do and
what
>versions of this components (very important) I have to use.

>Til now I have written a COM object in VC++ which uses the ADO 1.5
>funtionality to get informations from a Oracle 7.3 database. To connect the
>database I use the ADO object "connection" for each database connection.

>In the moment I use the following setup:

>NT 4 (SP 3)
>Oracle database (7.3.2.3.13)
>SQL * Net (3.3.2.0.2)
>Microsoft ODBC for Oracle (2.73.728303)
>ADO (1.5)

>This works fine - but now we plan to use the MTS because we want to use the
>connection pool for the database connection. In the moment we have
installed
>the MTS version 1.1. And this is the start of my questions what I have to
do
>to use all the pros of the MTS in my situation...

>- Do I have to use MTS 2.0 or MTS 1.1? ( I read that I have to use MTS
2.0 -
>but why?)

>- What I have to do to install MTS 2.0? (I read about problems installing
>the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack and the MTS 2.0)

>- What ODBC driver I have to do to use ADO and to connect the Oracle
>database? ( I read that this must be a ODBC 3.0 driver - where I can get
>this? From Oracle, from MS? Which is the correct driver?)

>- What I have to do to use the connection pool in MTS? Do I have to change
>any parts in my application?

>I want to thank you in advance,
>Tommy

>Thomas K?hler, Systeme & Netzwerke GmbH
>Klingenderstrasse 5, D-33100 Paderborn
>Tel: +49-5251-1581-29 Fax: +49-5251-1581-71

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem connecting to ORACLE via ADO - any help appreciated

2. problem accesing ORacle Using ADO in MTS

3. Using OLE DB or ADO to connect Oracle and SQL Server

4. Question about using ADO to connect Oracle DB??Thank you

5. FORMAT OF CONNECTIONSTRING TO CONNECT TO ORACLE DATABASE USING ADO

6. FORMAT OF CONNECTION STRING TO CONNECT to ORACLE DATABASE USING ADO

7. Please help with VC to ORACLE via ADO

8. problem while connecting oracle through MTS

9. Question about using Oracle Client to connect Oracle 9i DB (window version)?Thank you

10. Cannot Connect To ORACLE 7.3 via ODBC and CDataBase

11. For VC++, ADO or OLEDB is better for connect remote Oracle 9i DB??Thank you

12. Problem in ADO while connecting with Oracle