SQL Server with CDatabase/CRecordset and server cursors
Author Message
 SQL Server with CDatabase/CRecordset and server cursors

Just wondering how many folks out there are actually using this
combination. Sorry if this is rehashing previous posts, but I can't get
locks to be properly honored in our application within transactions (pages
are supposed to be exclusively locked during a transaction until the
updates are committed) if I don't load the cursor library. If I load the
cursor library, then everything works great. (There are performance issues
for remote clients, so I would prefer to keep result sets on the server,
which is why I'm trying to get rid of the cursor library).

Note that a trivial sample I have created to duplicate the locking failure
for Microsoft's technical support works correctly 95% or more of the time
(one client waits for the other the commit the transaction when updating
the same record or else times out), but I have observed one more than 1
occasion that even the trivial sample has allowed both clients to
concurrently execute and update a the same record within a transaction.
ISQL_W also experiences dirty read of the uncommited data when this occurs.
The pages appear to be exclusively locked using sp_lock or viewing locks
with the SQL Enterprise Manager, but the other client doesn't respect them.

--
Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Preserving writable server cursor after rollback (7.0, vc++, CDatabase/CRecordset)

2. CRecordset and SQL Server Linked Server View

3. Stored procedures accessing more than one server in a single CDatabase and CRecordset object

4. CDatabase to SQL Server in NT4

5. Cannot connect from ISAPI dll to SQL Server using CDatabase.OpenEx

6. CDatabase::Open , dynasets and SQL server????

7. CRecordset::GetFieldValue() fails with server side cursors

8. Keeping Cursor Open After a RollBack (MFC,ODBC,SQL Server 7.0)

9. Error updating SQL-Server record via ODBC (CRecordset)

10. How to pass NULL params in RFX for CRecordset in SQL Server/ODBC

11. CRecordset & SQL Server

12. Help! CRecordset/SQL Server 6.5