Database or Not?
Author Message
 Database or Not?

Hi all,
I'm developing an application which will perform various calculations,
based on relevant input data, and a database of  relevant parameters.
The main thrust of the development work will be in the application to
carry out the calculations, the database only serving the purpose of
supplying parameters as required to the analysis process.  It may also
be required to add to the database.

The database will consist of a single MS Access table.
Should I use ODBC or DAO?

Is there another way to go, given that the database only serves a
secondary purpose, and DAO/ODBC applications seem to be centered around
the database?

Many thanks,
        Pete
--
Peter Curtin,
Postgraduate Research,

Tel: 353-21-326-507
Fax: 353-21-345-244

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database or Not?

You may want to think about reading the parameters out of a file. But if
you're dealing with a lot of data, then Access may be the better choice.

If you do decide to use Access, use DAO. DAO is easier to use than ODBC, not
to mention faster.

Quote:

>Hi all,
>I'm developing an application which will perform various calculations,
>based on relevant input data, and a database of  relevant parameters.
>The main thrust of the development work will be in the application to
>carry out the calculations, the database only serving the purpose of
>supplying parameters as required to the analysis process.  It may also
>be required to add to the database.

>The database will consist of a single MS Access table.
>Should I use ODBC or DAO?

>Is there another way to go, given that the database only serves a
>secondary purpose, and DAO/ODBC applications seem to be centered around
>the database?

>Many thanks,
>        Pete
>--
>Peter Curtin,
>Postgraduate Research,
>Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering Dept.
>Cork Institute of Technology (CIT)
>Ireland

>Tel: 353-21-326-507
>Fax: 353-21-345-244

>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/5706/

Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database or Not?

Quote:

>Hi all,
>I'm developing an application which will perform various calculations,
>based on relevant input data, and a database of  relevant parameters.
>The main thrust of the development work will be in the application to
>carry out the calculations, the database only serving the purpose of
>supplying parameters as required to the analysis process.  It may also
>be required to add to the database.

Well, your needs seem simple enough so that you can probably do without
a database engine entirely, and just use your own. Since you won't write
to the database too often, you can maintain an index fairly easily. Your
parameters are probably fixed-length fields.

-- Agent

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How do you access remote databases where the database is not registed in the local ODBC

2. Open different Database does not work in Windows 3.1x

3. How to Backup the Contacts Database、Tasks Database、Appointment Database

4. Database not updating

5. Jet Transactions not committing to database file

6. Can not register the new Database with ODBC

7. Using database if do not know fieldnames

8. What type of error should I check to know whether database is corrupted or not

9. I am not able to see my database class members in class view - Please help

10. I want to read .mdb database with my program (VC++ winapi NOT MFC )

11. can not establish database connection after deploying an application

12. database access with C, not C++