Jet ADO threads and performance
Author Message
 Jet ADO threads and performance

I'm working on an app where I can plug in different data access
modules, which include (so far) an ODBC module tuned for Sybase
Adaptive Server Anywhere and a (brand spanking new) ADO module tuned
for Access .MDB files (Jet). I'm new to ADO.

With ODBC, I've got 5 threads, only one of which I didn't explicitly
start.

With ADO, I've got 13 (!) threads, only 3 of which I started
explicitly.

With ADO using ODBC (instead of Jet), I've got 8 threads (3 explicitly
started).

Furthermore, on startup, the app reads in some large lists from the db
in the background. This has a much greater (negative) effect on system
responsiveness with ADO/Jet, than with ODBC or ADO/ODBC.

So, finally, here are the questions:

1) Why so many threads for ADO, especially ADO/Jet?

2) Do I have any control the number or priority of threads ADO starts?

3) Does anyone have any other suggestions for performance tuning with
ADO/Jet?

Don Grasberger
Apply Occam's razor to Bill's beard.

(remove --- from address to e-mail)

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. bizarre difference between performance of first and second run of ODBC/Jet writer application

2. Jet 4.0 performance degradation

3. Performance loss: ODBC, jet engine, MDB on file server

4. Access/Jet write performance

5. ADO/ATL/Jet 3.5 Provider problem

6. Redists ADO and JET OLE DB

7. ADO Jet Connection Errors

8. Jet Database Replication (JRO + ADO)

9. Read Jet-databas properties with ADO from vc++

10. Read Jet-database properties with ADO

11. ADO/ATL/Jet 4.0 Provider problems with INSERT-sql

12. Deleting records problem with ADO 2.0 (Jet 4.0)