CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues
Author Message
 CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues

I'm having a nightmare of a time with an App that's using Crecordsets
to talk to an SQL Server back-end via ODBC.

In short, the system runs horribly slowly. I've checked that logging
is off, that I've created suitable indexes. I've currently added some
timers to my routines to try and see where the hold-ups are, but
there's nothing that massive.

The annoying bits are that
a) it runs reasonably using an Access back-end (my test set-up)
b) it's supposed to replace an "inefficient" DOS system that runs at a
very acceptable speed.

Any hints/tips on what to do next?

Thanks

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues

Quote:

> I'm having a nightmare of a time with an App that's using Crecordsets
> to talk to an SQL Server back-end via ODBC.

> In short, the system runs horribly slowly. I've checked that logging
> is off, that I've created suitable indexes. I've currently added some
> timers to my routines to try and see where the hold-ups are, but
> there's nothing that massive.

> The annoying bits are that
> a) it runs reasonably using an Access back-end (my test set-up)
> b) it's supposed to replace an "inefficient" DOS system that runs at a
> very acceptable speed.

> Any hints/tips on what to do next?

> Thanks

> Paul.
> Expressed opinions are usually my own.
> Especially if they're any good (of course).

How big a table?
Mine slows to a crawl above 10-20 K records (running MSDE on same PC).
I gave up and stuck with Access, at least for now.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues

Quote:

>> I'm having a nightmare of a time with an App that's using Crecordsets
>> to talk to an SQL Server back-end via ODBC.

>> In short, the system runs horribly slowly. I've checked that logging
>> is off, that I've created suitable indexes. I've currently added some
>> timers to my routines to try and see where the hold-ups are, but
>> there's nothing that massive.

>> The annoying bits are that
>> a) it runs reasonably using an Access back-end (my test set-up)
>> b) it's supposed to replace an "inefficient" DOS system that runs at a
>> very acceptable speed.

>> Any hints/tips on what to do next?

>> Thanks

>> Paul.
>> Expressed opinions are usually my own.
>> Especially if they're any good (of course).

>How big a table?
>Mine slows to a crawl above 10-20 K records (running MSDE on same PC).
>I gave up and stuck with Access, at least for now.

Thanks for your reply. The bigger tables are about 8k records. The
thing is, running SQL query analyser the queries have sub-second
response times.

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues
This sounds very familiar. There is a setting in the ODBC driver that is
checked by default. The way it is worded it sounds like it should be more
efficient to turn it on, but it is definitely not. I believe the setting is
"Create temporary stored procedures . . . ". Make sure that is unchecked.
Before I found this, I had a program that took over 6 hours to run. It now
runs in about 2 hours.

Good luck,
Bradley

Quote:
> I'm having a nightmare of a time with an App that's using Crecordsets
> to talk to an SQL Server back-end via ODBC.

> In short, the system runs horribly slowly. I've checked that logging
> is off, that I've created suitable indexes. I've currently added some
> timers to my routines to try and see where the hold-ups are, but
> there's nothing that massive.

> The annoying bits are that
> a) it runs reasonably using an Access back-end (my test set-up)
> b) it's supposed to replace an "inefficient" DOS system that runs at a
> very acceptable speed.

> Any hints/tips on what to do next?

> Thanks

> Paul.
> Expressed opinions are usually my own.
> Especially if they're any good (of course).

Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 CRecordset & SQL Server speed issues

Quote:

>This sounds very familiar. There is a setting in the ODBC driver that is
>checked by default. The way it is worded it sounds like it should be more
>efficient to turn it on, but it is definitely not. I believe the setting is
>"Create temporary stored procedures . . . ". Make sure that is unchecked.
>Before I found this, I had a program that took over 6 hours to run. It now
>runs in about 2 hours.

Sounds promising: I'll try it. I've actually managed to speed the
program up a lot by changing all my snapshot recordsets to dynamic,
but every extra bit helps when it comes to speed...

Paul.

Quote:
>Good luck,
>Bradley

>> I'm having a nightmare of a time with an App that's using Crecordsets
>> to talk to an SQL Server back-end via ODBC.

>> In short, the system runs horribly slowly. I've checked that logging
>> is off, that I've created suitable indexes. I've currently added some
>> timers to my routines to try and see where the hold-ups are, but
>> there's nothing that massive.

>> The annoying bits are that
>> a) it runs reasonably using an Access back-end (my test set-up)
>> b) it's supposed to replace an "inefficient" DOS system that runs at a
>> very acceptable speed.

>> Any hints/tips on what to do next?

>> Thanks

>> Paul.
>> Expressed opinions are usually my own.
>> Especially if they're any good (of course).

Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. CRecordset & SQL Server

2. SQL Server with CDatabase/CRecordset and server cursors

3. CRecordset and SQL Server Linked Server View

4. Help - Locking issue in sql server 2k in 6.5 comp mode

5. Issues changing from Access to SQL server

6. Error updating SQL-Server record via ODBC (CRecordset)

7. How to pass NULL params in RFX for CRecordset in SQL Server/ODBC

8. Help! CRecordset/SQL Server 6.5

9. Dynaset with Bookmarks to SQL Server connection makes a CRecordset connection read-only

10. CRecordset updateable join with SQL Server 7.0

11. CRecordset: Error when adding records SQL Server view

12. Help: Problems with CRecordset and SQL Server