Jet 3.5 ... Microsoft..
Author Message
 Jet 3.5 ... Microsoft..

Please post any conclusive response you might get to this.  I have exactly
the same dilemna.  My app is about to be released (at least I thought it
was until I saw your question which causes me the same concern).  It is
based on Access 7 database using vc4.1 (tried vc4.2 but it was so full of
bugs that I had to toss it in the trash).

Jack

Quote:
>    My question is this...
>            I have been trying to play catch up with MSJET since Access 2.0 was
> released...
>    First 16 Bit Jet 2.0 existed in Access 2.0.. Buggy, but offered MS ODBC
> support.
>    Then 16 Bit Jet 2.5 with support in VB but not C++
>    Then 32 Bit Jet 3.0 with the first real MFC/DAO C++ support for Access
> 7.0/Win95
>    Now 32 Bit  Jet 3.5 Beta with Office97. and as far as I know no
developer
> support at all.

>    Now, If my users need Office97 Jet support, and I am still attempting to
> provide them
>    with a crude Jet 3.0 level of support. How long will I have to wait to
get
> the necessary new classes for Jet 3.5, will it be  released in
> Office2000???

>    Since, security and file formats have changed on every new Jet version
> released.. What new bugs can I expect?
>    Does anyone know if is just my imagination.. Or are there really answers
> to these questions that will restore my confidence
>            for the third party developer using MS products.

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Jet 3.5 ... Microsoft..

Hi Davin,
My displeasure happened way before there was a 4.2b.  I installed plain 4.2
and had all kinds of problems with DAO, CString, resource editor, menu
buttons, just to name a few.  It was essentially unusable so I went back to
4.1 and let me tell you, that's no easy task.  Have not considered 4.2b
seriously because I am still gun-shy and don't want to jeopardise my
products release date.  I am encouraged by your experience with 4.2b and
maybe I will install it after I get my project to final beta.

Thanks,
Jack

Quote:
> Jack:

> I have been using 4.2b with Access 7 since it came out.  I haven't had
any
> problems.  What problems did you have?  I would like to know in case I
have
> to do a quick switch....

> > Please post any conclusive response you might get to this.  I have
> exactly
> > the same dilemna.  My app is about to be released (at least I thought
it
> > was until I saw your question which causes me the same concern).  It is
> > based on Access 7 database using vc4.1 (tried vc4.2 but it was so full
of
> > bugs that I had to toss it in the trash).

> > Jack

> > >  My question is this...
> > >          I have been trying to play catch up with MSJET since Access 2.0 was
> > > released...
> > >  First 16 Bit Jet 2.0 existed in Access 2.0.. Buggy, but offered MS
> ODBC
> > > support.
> > >  Then 16 Bit Jet 2.5 with support in VB but not C++
> > >  Then 32 Bit Jet 3.0 with the first real MFC/DAO C++ support for
Access
> > > 7.0/Win95
> > >  Now 32 Bit  Jet 3.5 Beta with Office97. and as far as I know no
> > developer
> > > support at all.

> > >  Now, If my users need Office97 Jet support, and I am still
attempting
> > > provide them
> > >  with a crude Jet 3.0 level of support. How long will I have to wait
> > get
> > > the necessary new classes for Jet 3.5, will it be        released in
> > > Office2000???

> > >  Since, security and file formats have changed on every new Jet
version
> > > released.. What new bugs can I expect?
> > >  Does anyone know if is just my imagination.. Or are there really
> answers
> > > to these questions that will restore my confidence
> > >          for the third party developer using MS products.

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Jet 3.5 ... Microsoft..

Jack:

I must be blind or lucky... I didn't have problems with 4.2.  The major
difference I saw with 4.2b is Class Wizard ran MUCH faster.

Quote:
> Hi Davin,
> My displeasure happened way before there was a 4.2b.  I installed plain
4.2
> and had all kinds of problems with DAO, CString, resource editor, menu
> buttons, just to name a few.  It was essentially unusable so I went back
> 4.1 and let me tell you, that's no easy task.  Have not considered 4.2b
> seriously because I am still gun-shy and don't want to jeopardise my
> products release date.  I am encouraged by your experience with 4.2b and
> maybe I will install it after I get my project to final beta.

> Thanks,
> Jack

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem intalling Microsoft Jet 3.5

2. Jet 3.5 ... Microsoft..

3. How Do I Remove a User with Jet 3.5 and VC++

4. VC 4.2 with Jet 3.5

5. Jet 3.5

6. Rebuilding dbDAO to use Jet 3.5?

7. Rebuilding dbDAO to use Jet 3.5?

8. ADO/ATL/Jet 3.5 Provider problem

9. Jet 3.5 Error

10. Annoying Jet 3.5 OLE DB deployment problems

11. Unable to store CLongBinary or CByteArray as OLE Object in Jet 3.5

12. Help - DAO and JET 3.5 and Memory Usage