Large Access Database and ADO Controls
Author Message
 Large Access Database and ADO Controls

Hello !!!

I am writing an MFC (Visual C++ v 6.0) application that uses MS Access
database (*.mdb).
My database is rather large - mdb file is 114 MB large and it contains about
300.000 records.

I wanted to use ADO Controls to view records in my application. I tried to
use
Microsoft DataGrid Control Version 6.0 (OLEDB), which is bound to Microsoft
ADO Data Control Version 6.0 (OLEDB).

When the database is small, the application works great, but when I try to
view my large database, the application seems to hang up. The size of free
RAM memory is decreasing very fast, but the application does not response.

I would like to ask if anyone knows what I should do to overcome this
problem. Is there a limitation on the size of database that ADO controls can
work with?

Best regards

Janusz Studnicki

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:30:54 GMT
 Large Access Database and ADO Controls
I don't know the answer. Suggestions:

1. the DataGrid is not a very good control, it is buggy

2. the replacement for DataGrid I have used is Apex True DB Grid,
complicated to program using VC++ if you are doing anything other than a
siple list of records.

3. the grid controls seem to work much better for me using an ADO
recordset, not the ADO data control.

Quote:

> Hello !!!

> I am writing an MFC (Visual C++ v 6.0) application that uses MS Access
> database (*.mdb).
> My database is rather large - mdb file is 114 MB large and it contains about
> 300.000 records.

> I wanted to use ADO Controls to view records in my application. I tried to
> use
> Microsoft DataGrid Control Version 6.0 (OLEDB), which is bound to Microsoft
> ADO Data Control Version 6.0 (OLEDB).

> When the database is small, the application works great, but when I try to
> view my large database, the application seems to hang up. The size of free
> RAM memory is decreasing very fast, but the application does not response.

> I would like to ask if anyone knows what I should do to overcome this
> problem. Is there a limitation on the size of database that ADO controls can
> work with?

> Best regards

> Janusz Studnicki

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:10:52 GMT

1. Help with ADO access to an Access database

2. How well does Access 2000 handle large databases?

3. ADO.Net - compact/repair access database?

4. ASP.NET (ADO.NET) connect to remote MS Access Database

5. ADO.NET and storing files in access database

6. ADO.NET reading a bitmap from an Access database

7. Compact a Access 2002 database with ADO vc++

8. Copy Excel data into Access database using ADO for Visual C++

9. How to open a Query in an ACCESS database with ADO

10. using VC to access database with ADO.

11. ADO / Access 2000 database disk-space usage

12. ADO to access an SQL Server 7.0 database