Access maximum users and database size?
Author Message
 Access maximum users and database size?

We have clients on Access 97 and Access 2000 MFC app using CRecordset
and some RDO.

I'm always being questioned about adding more users and asked to
predict performance.

I have always thought that 4-5 concurrent users and a total
transaction table of about 1 million rows was about the max for
Access97, has this changed much with Access2000?

Opinions?  Has anyone seen any specific guidlines or benchmarks that
can be used?

TIA
Dave

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:02:57 GMT
 Access maximum users and database size?
Dave,

I definitely remember reading some MS literature that corroborates your active
users count of 4-5 with MS Jet database, but I have also seen some literature
that intimates that the limit may be closer to 10-15 concurrent users.  These
two are not that far apart, especially since "acceptable performance" is a
rather subjective term.

I don't remember anything specifically that officially established a performance
limit -  and certainly nothing relating to 1,000,000 rows.  However, from our
experience, we have several desktop (single user apllications) that are based on
MS Jet 4.0 database and they handle 1,000,000+ rows rater nicely (note these
.mdb files are big, and performance in absolutely a function of the available
desktop horsepower)...

Having said all such -- I think the recent position from MS is a move to MSDE.
And I do recall reading MS literature recently that suggests that MSDE also
starts to degrade with more than 5 concurrent users.  Have a look in MS Office
and Developer Journal - July issue in online MSDN

I hope this helps,

regards
Roy Fine

Quote:
> We have clients on Access 97 and Access 2000 MFC app using CRecordset
> and some RDO.

> I'm always being questioned about adding more users and asked to
> predict performance.

> I have always thought that 4-5 concurrent users and a total
> transaction table of about 1 million rows was about the max for
> Access97, has this changed much with Access2000?

> Opinions?  Has anyone seen any specific guidlines or benchmarks that
> can be used?

> TIA
> Dave

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:58:17 GMT

1. Access-Database size grows in multi-user mode

2. New User connection to Access database

3. How to access Custom Database Properties of a Access 97 database programmatically

4. dmalloc: reduces maximum allocation size?

5. Maximum size of an Integer

6. newbie question: maximum size of a string

7. Maximum integer array size in C

8. Maximum Matrix Size !!!

9. Maximum array size in c

10. Maximum size of integral type