Networking!
Author Message
 Networking!

I have some questions that I need answers for.

1)  I have a database on a WinNT Server 3.51, (access format .mdb),  This
NT server is networked running TCP/IP. When I connect to the server via
TCP/IP, may I access the file from my remote computer via File OPEN or via
an ODBC driver?  What is better?  What is faster?

2)  In 32-bit ODBC Administrator, what can a file DSN do?  If I create a
file DSN, can somebody on the network access that database using the DSN
file?  Are File DSNs supported on WindowsNT 3.51.

3)  Has anybody expeienced any database corruption when accessing the
database over  the internet.  while multiple people have been using the
database?

Any reply is appreciated,

Rusty Conover

Thu, 08 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Networking!

Quote:

> I have some questions that I need answers for.

> 1)  I have a database on a WinNT Server 3.51, (access format .mdb),  This
> NT server is networked running TCP/IP. When I connect to the server via
> TCP/IP, may I access the file from my remote computer via File OPEN or via
> an ODBC driver?  What is better?  What is faster?

> 2)  In 32-bit ODBC Administrator, what can a file DSN do?  If I create a
> file DSN, can somebody on the network access that database using the DSN
> file?  Are File DSNs supported on WindowsNT 3.51.

> 3)  Has anybody expeienced any database corruption when accessing the
> database over  the internet.  while multiple people have been using the
> database?

> Any reply is appreciated,

> Rusty Conover

ODBC will be slower than using the MSAcess program directly.  But Access
files are not meant to be updated by two or more people.  We have Access
dbs on Netware servers, but they must be read-only.  The reason for this
is that Access has no way to prevent two people from writing to the same
row of data.  For that, you need a SQL Server engine running on your NT
Server.

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Disk / Network Error when Filling Dataset from Network Location

2. Network: how to obtain the list of users who have logged in to the network?

3. Where I can find newsgroup about "Network" or "Network protocol"

4. IIS 5.0 StreamWriter and Network Shared Directory

5. Printing on a Network Printer

6. Network Connection, Logged on To Net Pinging

7. Creating a network usage and monitor program

8. Packet monitoring, network programming in C#?

9. Networking Book - Blum or Sivakumar?

10. Reading/Writing a Data Structure Over the Network

11. Network Security Problem with Simple Managed Application

12. networking question