MFC-DAO & Dealing with passwords
Author Message
 MFC-DAO & Dealing with passwords

Hello, .vc.database readers!

Env.:  Win 95 OSR 2;  MSVC 5.0 sp3; Access 95

Has anyone here ever successfully protected a database with a password
while using DAO???

In the DAO documentation there is a method described, but when I follow
these rules, I get an exception that tells me the system.mdw file is
missing (although I do have one, but the End-user definively will not
always have it).

Am I doing something wrong? What points am I missing?

Thanks for all notes...

 Thomas

Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MFC-DAO & Dealing with passwords

Hi Thomas,

Quote:
> Has anyone here ever successfully protected a database with a password
> while using DAO???

> In the DAO documentation there is a method described, but when I follow
> these rules, I get an exception that tells me the system.mdw file is
> missing (although I do have one, but the End-user definively will not
> always have it).

This error usually pops up because your using (trying) a system.mdb that is
not in the same location as the registry key (DAO 3.x) or ini (DAO 2.5).
When implementing this type of security you need to create your own
workspace object and call the SetIniPath method.  If you look at the
registry location HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Jet you'll see how it needs to be
setup.  And the documentation also says that you can append your workspace
to the DAO engines workspace collection, I've never been able to do that
without the "missing .mdb" message.  Especially if the default "Admin" user
is removed or denied access.

Just a note:  If you implement this type of security on your database and
do not provide a system.mdb for the database the end user will not be able
to access it.  So you need to distribute this file as well, or provide the
user with the ability to create the file and/or users.

HTH
--
===================
Frank Hickman

===================

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Multithreading, MFC & DAO

2. MFC multithread & Dao

3. MFC & DAO, Primary Key

4. mfc DAO errors 3167 & 3159

5. Create Table with MFC & DAO

6. Looking for book dealing with DAO

7. Password processing in DAO (MDB files, programmatically)

8. Passwords in a DAO database?

9. DAO and Passwords

10. DAO and Passwords

11. Creating DAO database with a password

12. How to submit a password through DAO