General Access Programming Questions
Author Message
 General Access Programming Questions

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:46:51 +1100, "Greg Roberts"

Quote:

>Do we need to actively do "packs" to remove space, or will the database
>automatically fix itself and re-use deleted areas ?

Access databases must be regularly compacted. I can't say how to do it
from C - in VBA it's the Compact method of the Database object.

           John W. Vinson[MVP]
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 General Access Programming Questions
If you need indices for efficiency, forget Excel. DAO is the library which
Access uses to actually manipulate the database. MDB  databases may need to be
compacted but I'm not sure what can cause it to need compacting. Obviously a
very large addition and then a deletion would cause it, but I'm not sure if a
small addition followed by a deletion would cause it to need compacting. It
seems I've noticed that that scenario doesn't increase the size. If you need
it, there is a CompactDatabase method which you can use to reduce it's size. I
don't know if the MFC classes expose the method but if they don't, as you
probably know, you can invoke the method using the classes generated by the
#import statement. I've never had to use C++ to manipulate a MDB database(and
I hope I never need to) so I don't know the details. If you don't mind having
a standalone program it's much easier to write a VB program to compact it than
a C++ program.

MSDN has documentation, however, the best documentation I've seen is
"Microsoft Jet Database Engine Programmer's Guide" by Microsoft Press and I'm
not sure if the book is in the MSDN docs.
Bobby

Quote:

> Context:
> MS VC 6.0
> We have an application which needs a database to store data and then
> retrieve
> it based on certain indexes, however, after all this is read, we then need
> to delete
> these entries and start logging new entries.
> So either we use DBF (excel) or MDB (access) files.

> Question:
> Do we need to actively do "packs" to remove space, or will the database
> automatically fix itself and re-use deleted areas ?
> i.e. we don't want is size to grow and grow..
> If so, can someone point me at the URL on this pack functionality.

> Thanks in advance

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 General Access Programming Questions

Context:
MS VC 6.0
We have an application which needs a database to store data and then
retrieve
it based on certain indexes, however, after all this is read, we then need
to delete
these entries and start logging new entries.
So either we use DBF (excel) or MDB (access) files.

Question:
Do we need to actively do "packs" to remove space, or will the database
automatically fix itself and re-use deleted areas ?
i.e. we don't want is size to grow and grow..
If so, can someone point me at the URL on this pack functionality.

Thanks in advance

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:46:51 GMT

1. General programming questions.

2. Game programming and General Programming News Site

3. NEW Game programming and General Programming News Site

4. how to access general memory info

5. Retrieving general informations from a Access MDB file ?

6. Network Programming (general and c#) Exeptions

7. OPENING of a General and Game Programming News Site

8. VERY General Programming advice

9. General Programming Tips?

10. General Exception-Handling Facility and Contract Programming for C Programmers

11. general aborting program

12. Programming in general