VC DB MDI App-which type of window for forms?
Author Message
 VC DB MDI App-which type of window for forms?

Hello,

I am new to VC, and am trying to determine which type of window is the best
choice when creating data entry forms for an application that will be
accessing a database. Should I use a Window subclassed from CDialog or from
CFrameWnd?

I want to create a MDI application, that will allow users to update
different tables concurrently. I have completed the Enroll Tutorial, but it
only deals with a SDI interface.

Any help, or if anyone can recommend any good books that deal mainly with
VC and Databas/ODBC programming would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JD West

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VC DB MDI App-which type of window for forms?

Quote:

> Hello,

> I am new to VC, and am trying to determine which type of window is the best
> choice when creating data entry forms for an application that will be
> accessing a database. Should I use a Window subclassed from CDialog or from
> CFrameWnd?

> I want to create a MDI application, that will allow users to update
> different tables concurrently. I have completed the Enroll Tutorial, but it
> only deals with a SDI interface.

> Any help, or if anyone can recommend any good books that deal mainly with
> VC and Databas/ODBC programming would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance.

> JD West

Try CRecordView.  It is inherited from CFormView.  There are some
examples on the cd of how to use this
(MSDEV\SAMPLES\MFC\DATABASE\CATALOG).  After you've created your forms
using the resource editor, use the class wizard to tie the fields on the
form to fields in the database.

Dan'l

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VC DB MDI App-which type of window for forms?

Quote:

>Hello,

>I am new to VC, and am trying to determine which type of window is the best
>choice when creating data entry forms for an application that will be
>accessing a database. Should I use a Window subclassed from CDialog or from
>CFrameWnd?

>I want to create a MDI application, that will allow users to update
>different tables concurrently. I have completed the Enroll Tutorial, but it
>only deals with a SDI interface.

>Any help, or if anyone can recommend any good books that deal mainly with
>VC and Databas/ODBC programming would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this also, but I think you might want to look at the
CRecordView or CDaoRecordView classes.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Quote:
>Thanks in advance.

>JD West

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VC DB MDI App-which type of window for forms?

CRecordView is basically a CFormView with special abilities to link dialog
contols to database columns.  There is a very good tutorial which you can
get to via the InfoView tab in the ProjectWorkspace window using the
following path:

Visual C++ Books | Tutorials | The Database Tutorials

Which I have been using for the past two days.

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How develop MDI application with child forms like VB MDI and Child forms

2. Make Windows Form Application with VC++.NET 2002 using a visual form

3. newbie -- How to close a form in a MDI app

4. Changing form views in MDI app.

5. Increase Number of Windows on Windows Menu in MDI App

6. Increase Number of Windows on Windows Menu in MDI App

7. VC for DB apps ?

8. VC for DB apps ?

9. VC for DB apps ?

10. Help on an MDI app with a sub Doc type

11. MDI, making a vis studio type app

12. How to remove certain doc types from the file|new dialog box in MDI apps