Big Access databases
Author Message
 Big Access databases

Hi

Can anybody help me?

What can I expect in terms of performance for an Access database composed of
3000 entries of up-to 50K bytes each (150MB)? In particular, what would the
access time be on a Pentium 200 or better? And how can I improve or detract
from performance? The table will consist of 3000 records. Each record will
have a single primary key, and one or two other keys, while the majority of
the record will be a single field holding a Word document.

Does anybody has experience with big Access databases and can give me any
links to interesting informations?

Thanks
Oli

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Big Access databases
You might be better off having your database only contain a pointer to a
word file instead of the entire word file.  This would significantly speed
up work on your database and also keep the most amount of problems from
creeping up such as bad spots on disks and such.

Nick

Quote:
> Hi

> Can anybody help me?

> What can I expect in terms of performance for an Access database composed
of
> 3000 entries of up-to 50K bytes each (150MB)? In particular, what would
the
> access time be on a Pentium 200 or better? And how can I improve or
detract
> from performance? The table will consist of 3000 records. Each record will
> have a single primary key, and one or two other keys, while the majority
of
> the record will be a single field holding a Word document.

> Does anybody has experience with big Access databases and can give me any
> links to interesting informations?

> Thanks
> Oli

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Big Access databases
You're right. But I have important reasons to embed the document.

Oli

Quote:
>You might be better off having your database only contain a pointer to a
>word file instead of the entire word file.  This would significantly speed
>up work on your database and also keep the most amount of problems from
>creeping up such as bad spots on disks and such.

>Nick

>> Hi

>> Can anybody help me?

>> What can I expect in terms of performance for an Access database composed
>of
>> 3000 entries of up-to 50K bytes each (150MB)? In particular, what would
>the
>> access time be on a Pentium 200 or better? And how can I improve or
>detract
>> from performance? The table will consist of 3000 records. Each record
will
>> have a single primary key, and one or two other keys, while the majority
>of
>> the record will be a single field holding a Word document.

>> Does anybody has experience with big Access databases and can give me any
>> links to interesting informations?

>> Thanks
>> Oli

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Big Access databases
Well, what I can tell ya is that the searches are really slow on tables with
240,000 records in them.  (We had a play database that had that many records
with 15 integer fields in it, indexed).  The searches were fairly lengthy.
On the other hand, appending to the database was very quick.  It was
surprising.

Nick

Quote:
> You're right. But I have important reasons to embed the document.

> Oli

> >You might be better off having your database only contain a pointer to a
> >word file instead of the entire word file.  This would significantly
speed
> >up work on your database and also keep the most amount of problems from
> >creeping up such as bad spots on disks and such.

> >Nick

> >> Hi

> >> Can anybody help me?

> >> What can I expect in terms of performance for an Access database
composed
> >of
> >> 3000 entries of up-to 50K bytes each (150MB)? In particular, what would
> >the
> >> access time be on a Pentium 200 or better? And how can I improve or
> >detract
> >> from performance? The table will consist of 3000 records. Each record
> will
> >> have a single primary key, and one or two other keys, while the
majority
> >of
> >> the record will be a single field holding a Word document.

> >> Does anybody has experience with big Access databases and can give me
any
> >> links to interesting informations?

> >> Thanks
> >> Oli

Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to access Custom Database Properties of a Access 97 database programmatically

2. How do you access remote databases where the database is not registed in the local ODBC

3. Emergency question on c# access remote Access Database from ASP.net

4. Accessing Access 1.1 or 2.0 databases with C/C++

5. Accessing access via MFC Database classes and ODBC

6. Accessing Data from an Access database from a Web Server

7. accessing an access database

8. Accessing MS Access database from a dialog box

9. Help with ADO access to an Access database

10. Accessing MS Access Databases in VC++

11. Q: How to access an Access 97 database in Visual C++ 5.0

12. Problem accessing Access 2000 database using DAO. - URGENT