Growing mdb file
Author Message
 Growing mdb file

Hi :)

We're developing an application that uses MS Access database. The
application adds new records into the database and then - in some period of
time - deletes old redundant records. The average number of records in the
database is rather constant but the mdb file is growing all the time. The
reason is that the records are being deleted logically, not phisically. We
are looking for an solution that forces the database not to grow the mdb
file. We can't compact the database because the application should work all
the time (without break).

Is it possible to make the database inserting the new records in place of
deleted records ?

I would be grateful for any help

Janusz

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:13:48 GMT
 Growing mdb file

Quote:

>Hi :)

>We're developing an application that uses MS Access database. The
>application adds new records into the database and then - in some period of
>time - deletes old redundant records. The average number of records in the
>database is rather constant but the mdb file is growing all the time. The
>reason is that the records are being deleted logically, not phisically. We
>are looking for an solution that forces the database not to grow the mdb
>file. We can't compact the database because the application should work all
>the time (without break).

>Is it possible to make the database inserting the new records in place of
>deleted records ?

Add a new boolean field to the table (call it "Deleted" or something
similar). When you previously deleted a record, instead set this flag
to TRUE. When you previously added a record, search for one with
Deleted set to TRUE and overwrite this (setting Deleted to FALSE in
the process).

The downside of this is that you'll have to add a "and Deleted=FALSE"
(or similar) clause to all your searches/fetches etc.

HTH
Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:22:43 GMT

1. My database .mdb file seems to grows exponentially

2. How to transform a mdb file into a xls file

3. *.MDB file open exception???(Unrecognized file format...)

4. synchronize the MDB file with CDB file using Activesync

5. My .mdb file keeps growing, how to keep it trim?

6. Limiting size file can grow to

7. Modifying the size of a growing file

8. Problem with growing .rc file in Visual c++

9. Continued Reading of a Growing File

10. Problem with growing .rc files in Visual c++

11. Resource file is 12M and keeps growing