Using OLE DB or ADO to connect Oracle and SQL Server
Author Message
 Using OLE DB or ADO to connect Oracle and SQL Server

Hi all

Are there any differences in using OLE DB (or ADO) when it works with
Oracle or SQL Server? I know I should change SQL statments. But are
there any differences in using cursors, transactions or returning
rowsets?
I'm looking forward any information or links to the materials.

Thx,
Wiesiek

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:39:54 GMT
 Using OLE DB or ADO to connect Oracle and SQL Server
Wiesiek,

Oracle does not support updates on server side cursors - if you want an
updateable cursor, you must set cursor location to adUseClient.

Oracle does not support multiple rowsets from a compound sql select statement.
your alternative is to implement the multiple selects as cursors in an Oracle
stored procedure and return them as Ref Cursors.

The MS OLEDB provider for Oracle does not support CLOBs, Oracle OLEDB
(OraOLEDB.Oracle) does.

are absolutely not portable - eg Identity versus Decode, Inner/Outer Joins,
sysdate, InitCap, etc, etc, ...

In addition, have a look at this article:

 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnsqlsm/html/oracle2sql.asp

I hope this helps.

best regards,
roy fine

Quote:
> Hi all

> Are there any differences in using OLE DB (or ADO) when it works with
> Oracle or SQL Server? I know I should change SQL statments. But are
> there any differences in using cursors, transactions or returning
> rowsets?
> I'm looking forward any information or links to the materials.

> Thx,
> Wiesiek

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:01:22 GMT

1. Question about using ADO to connect Oracle DB??Thank you

2. Connecting to a SQL server and updating a record using DB Lib

3. Question about using Oracle Client to connect Oracle 9i DB (window version)?Thank you

4. Getting a list of databases from an SQL server using OLE-DB (or any other method)

5. Q:Use DISTINCT in SQL statement with OLE DB for SQL Server

6. For VC++, ADO or OLEDB is better for connect remote Oracle 9i DB??Thank you

7. Connecting to SQL server Db

8. Asynchronous rowsets: ATL, OLE DB, and SQL Server

9. OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Timeout - IDispatch Error 3121

10. MS OLE DB provider for SQL Server does not return any tables when selecting a datasource

11. SQL Server/OLE DB Book

12. SQL Server/OLE DB Book