How to use BSTR?
Author Message
 How to use BSTR?

I'm totally new to ATL.  I've created an ATL object using BSTR as the
parameter types (because I don't know any better).  I've copied some sample
code of what I'm having to do to use the BSTR's in my code.  Basically, I'm
converting them to standard C style strings before I can use them.  I'm
pretty sure I'm doing more work than necessary.  Can someone point me down
the right path?

Thanks!

STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
BSTR string4)
{
   AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

   char c_string1  [200];
   char c_string2  [200];
   char c_string3  [200];
   char c_string4  [200];

   WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string1   , -1, c_string1   ,
sizeof(c_string1   ), NULL, NULL);

   WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string2   , -1, c_string2   ,
sizeof(c_string2   ), NULL, NULL);

   WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string3   , -1, c_string3   ,
sizeof(c_string3   ), NULL, NULL);

   WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string4   , -1, c_string4   ,
sizeof(c_string4   ), NULL, NULL);

   /* blah blah blah */

Quote:
}

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:10:04 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
There are standard conversions macros that will do this for you.
The conversion macros use local variables , they need to be allocated by
declaring the following.
USES_CONVERSION;
LPSTR str = OLE2A(yourBSTR)  might just do what you are trying to do.

Murtuza

Quote:
> I'm totally new to ATL.  I've created an ATL object using BSTR as the
> parameter types (because I don't know any better).  I've copied some
sample
> code of what I'm having to do to use the BSTR's in my code.  Basically,
I'm
> converting them to standard C style strings before I can use them.  I'm
> pretty sure I'm doing more work than necessary.  Can someone point me down
> the right path?

> Thanks!

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
> BSTR string4)
> {
>    AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

>    char c_string1  [200];
>    char c_string2  [200];
>    char c_string3  [200];
>    char c_string4  [200];

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string1   , -1, c_string1   ,
> sizeof(c_string1   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string2   , -1, c_string2   ,
> sizeof(c_string2   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string3   , -1, c_string3   ,
> sizeof(c_string3   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string4   , -1, c_string4   ,
> sizeof(c_string4   ), NULL, NULL);

>    /* blah blah blah */
> }

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:26:01 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
You can use the CComBSTR wrapper to do some work with the BSTRs, but if you
want to do some real mainipulation, you'll probably want to look into using
the wstring class in the STL (Standard Template Library).

Kevin

Quote:
> I'm totally new to ATL.  I've created an ATL object using BSTR as the
> parameter types (because I don't know any better).  I've copied some
sample
> code of what I'm having to do to use the BSTR's in my code.  Basically,
I'm
> converting them to standard C style strings before I can use them.  I'm
> pretty sure I'm doing more work than necessary.  Can someone point me down
> the right path?

> Thanks!

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
> BSTR string4)
> {
>    AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

>    char c_string1  [200];
>    char c_string2  [200];
>    char c_string3  [200];
>    char c_string4  [200];

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string1   , -1, c_string1   ,
> sizeof(c_string1   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string2   , -1, c_string2   ,
> sizeof(c_string2   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string3   , -1, c_string3   ,
> sizeof(c_string3   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string4   , -1, c_string4   ,
> sizeof(c_string4   ), NULL, NULL);

>    /* blah blah blah */
> }

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:16:45 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Hello,

How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
 BSTR string4)
 {
    AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

    CString s1(string1);
    CString s2(string2);
    CString s3(string3);
    CString s4(string4);
    /* blah blah blah */

Quote:
}

--
Best regards,
Vadim Melnik,

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 04:17:55 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part of WTL
and you can
find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.

You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

regards
 Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

Quote:
> Hello,

> How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
>  BSTR string4)
>  {
>     AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

>     CString s1(string1);
>     CString s2(string2);
>     CString s3(string3);
>     CString s4(string4);
>     /* blah blah blah */
> }

> --
> Best regards,
> Vadim Melnik,
> {*filter*} Consultant.
> _____________________________
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:09:19 GMT
 How to use BSTR?

Quote:
> There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part of
WTL
> and you can
> find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.
> You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

That is right, but code below uses MFC (AFX stuffs...), so there is no need
to add WTL's CString class, MFC supplies it own version. Am I right?

Cheers,
Vadim.

Quote:

> > Hello,

> > How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

> > STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR
string3,
> >  BSTR string4)
> >  {
> >     AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

> >     CString s1(string1);
> >     CString s2(string2);
> >     CString s3(string3);
> >     CString s4(string4);
> >     /* blah blah blah */
> > }

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Vadim Melnik,
> > {*filter*} Consultant.
> > _____________________________
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:11:16 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Yes you are. I just thought I'd mention it since you were using MFC in your
ATL project.

regards
 Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

Quote:
> > There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part of
> WTL
> > and you can
> > find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.
> > You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

> That is right, but code below uses MFC (AFX stuffs...), so there is no
need
> to add WTL's CString class, MFC supplies it own version. Am I right?

> Cheers,
> Vadim.

> > > Hello,

> > > How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

> > > STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR
> string3,
> > >  BSTR string4)
> > >  {
> > >     AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

> > >     CString s1(string1);
> > >     CString s2(string2);
> > >     CString s3(string3);
> > >     CString s4(string4);
> > >     /* blah blah blah */
> > > }

> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Vadim Melnik,
> > > {*filter*} Consultant.
> > > _____________________________
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:34:08 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Thanks!  That's what I needed!

Quote:
> Hello,

> How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
>  BSTR string4)
>  {
>     AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

>     CString s1(string1);
>     CString s2(string2);
>     CString s3(string3);
>     CString s4(string4);
>     /* blah blah blah */
> }

> --
> Best regards,
> Vadim Melnik,
> {*filter*} Consultant.
> _____________________________
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:58:39 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
That sounds interresting.  I looked, but I don't have that directory
structure, nor a file called atlmisc.h.

Quote:
> There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part of
WTL
> and you can
> find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.

> You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

> regards
>  Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

> > Hello,

> > How about CString class? It contains appropriate functionality:

> > STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR
string3,
> >  BSTR string4)
> >  {
> >     AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

> >     CString s1(string1);
> >     CString s2(string2);
> >     CString s3(string3);
> >     CString s4(string4);
> >     /* blah blah blah */
> > }

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Vadim Melnik,
> > {*filter*} Consultant.
> > _____________________________
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:59:21 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Thanks for the tips, both of you!

I'm going to look for more information on the ATL version of CString.  If I
could get that going, I think I can drop MFC support.  I believe the code
I've been given only uses CString from MFC.  If I can get that same
functionality from just using ATL, I'll try it.

Thanks again!

Quote:
> Yes you are. I just thought I'd mention it since you were using MFC in
your
> ATL project.

> regards
>  Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

> > > There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part
of
> > WTL
> > > and you can
> > > find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.
> > > You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

> > That is right, but code below uses MFC (AFX stuffs...), so there is no
> need
> > to add WTL's CString class, MFC supplies it own version. Am I right?

> > Cheers,
> > Vadim.

> > string3,

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:02:13 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
i just use the std::string class from STL...

CMyObject::SomeMethod(BSTR arg){

   std::string s=_bstr_t(arg);

//do whatever you need with string

Quote:
}

CMyObject::SomeOtherMethod(BSTR* arg/*supplied by client*/){

*arg=A2BSTR(s.c_str());

Quote:
}

then do your thing with the string instead of using bstrs. However, if you
need to manipulate BSTR's directly, check out the family of functions that
includes SysAllocString(), SysReAllocString(), SysFreeString(), etc...

Hope that helps.

Also, I'd avoid using the CString class from MFC in an ATL project... kinda
defeats the whole purpose. I was unaware of the ATL version of CString until
i read one of the other subthreads to your message so i can't speak for that
one.

Quote:
> I'm totally new to ATL. I've created an ATL object using BSTR as the
> parameter types (because I don't know any better). I've copied some sample
> code of what I'm having to do to use the BSTR's in my code. Basically, I'm
> converting them to standard C style strings before I can use them. I'm
> pretty sure I'm doing more work than necessary. Can someone point me down
> the right path?

> Thanks!

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
> BSTR string4)
> {
> AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

> char c_string1 [200];
> char c_string2 [200];
> char c_string3 [200];
> char c_string4 [200];

> WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string1 , -1, c_string1 ,
> sizeof(c_string1 ), NULL, NULL);

> WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string2 , -1, c_string2 ,
> sizeof(c_string2 ), NULL, NULL);

> WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string3 , -1, c_string3 ,
> sizeof(c_string3 ), NULL, NULL);

> WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string4 , -1, c_string4 ,
> sizeof(c_string4 ), NULL, NULL);

> /* blah blah blah */
> }

> I'm totally new to ATL.  I've created an ATL object using BSTR as the
> parameter types (because I don't know any better).  I've copied some
sample
> code of what I'm having to do to use the BSTR's in my code.  Basically,
I'm
> converting them to standard C style strings before I can use them.  I'm
> pretty sure I'm doing more work than necessary.  Can someone point me down
> the right path?

> Thanks!

> STDMETHODIMP CMyObject::DoStuff(BSTR string1, BSTR string2, BSTR string3,
> BSTR string4)
> {
>    AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState())

>    char c_string1  [200];
>    char c_string2  [200];
>    char c_string3  [200];
>    char c_string4  [200];

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string1   , -1, c_string1   ,
> sizeof(c_string1   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string2   , -1, c_string2   ,
> sizeof(c_string2   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string3   , -1, c_string3   ,
> sizeof(c_string3   ), NULL, NULL);

>    WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0, string4   , -1, c_string4   ,
> sizeof(c_string4   ), NULL, NULL);

>    /* blah blah blah */
> }

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:41:03 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Hi,

BSTR were introduced to satisfy all the programming communities. BSTRs are length
prefiexed as well as NULL-terminated string.  With BSTRs you have to provide
memory management functionalities (SysAllocString, SysFreeString). But if you use
the following wrapers classes, you don't need to:

ATL : CComBSTR
Visual C++: _bstr_t
Platform sdk: BSTR

Thanks

Arif

Quote:
I'm going to look for more information on the ATL version of CString.  If I
could get that going, I think I can drop MFC support.  I believe the code
I've been given only uses CString from MFC.  If I can get that same
functionality from just using ATL, I'll try it.

Thanks again!

> Yes you are. I just thought I'd mention it since you were using MFC in
your
> ATL project.

> regards
>  Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

> > > There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part
of
> > WTL
> > > and you can
> > > find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.
> > > You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

> > That is right, but code below uses MFC (AFX stuffs...), so there is no
> need
> > to add WTL's CString class, MFC supplies it own version. Am I right?

> > Cheers,
> > Vadim.

> > string3,

.

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:08:22 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
I ran across that in the online help, but I found nothing on how to actually
do that.  How do I "connect" (for lack of a better word) the CComBSTR to the
actual BSTR?

Thanks!

Hi,

BSTR were introduced to satisfy all the programming communities. BSTRs are
length
prefiexed as well as NULL-terminated string.  With BSTRs you have to provide
memory management functionalities (SysAllocString, SysFreeString). But if
you use
the following wrapers classes, you don't need to:

ATL : CComBSTR
Visual C++: _bstr_t
Platform sdk: BSTR

Thanks

Arif

Quote:
I'm going to look for more information on the ATL version of CString.  If I
could get that going, I think I can drop MFC support.  I believe the code
I've been given only uses CString from MFC.  If I can get that same
functionality from just using ATL, I'll try it.

Thanks again!

> Yes you are. I just thought I'd mention it since you were using MFC in
your
> ATL project.

> regards
>  Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

> > > There is an ATL CString class defined in atlmisc.h. This file is part
of
> > WTL
> > > and you can
> > > find WTL in the <Platform SDK Directory>\Src\WTL\Include.
> > > You need PSDK Jan 2000 or newer.

> > That is right, but code below uses MFC (AFX stuffs...), so there is no
> need
> > to add WTL's CString class, MFC supplies it own version. Am I right?

> > Cheers,
> > Vadim.

> > string3,

.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:06:45 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Why don't you just use the constructor. I use it like this:
SomeMethod( BSTR input )
{
    CComBSTR( input );
    // Do what ever you want here...

Quote:
}

You can also assign it like this;
    CComBSTR bstr;
    bstr.Attach( input ); // Remember to emtpy it first if it's already
assigned.

regards
 Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

Quote:
> I ran across that in the online help, but I found nothing on how to
actually
> do that.  How do I "connect" (for lack of a better word) the CComBSTR to
the
> actual BSTR?

> Thanks!

> Hi,

> BSTR were introduced to satisfy all the programming communities. BSTRs are
> length
> prefiexed as well as NULL-terminated string.  With BSTRs you have to
provide
> memory management functionalities (SysAllocString, SysFreeString). But if
> you use
> the following wrapers classes, you don't need to:

> ATL : CComBSTR
> Visual C++: _bstr_t
> Platform sdk: BSTR

> Thanks

> Arif

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:22:52 GMT
 How to use BSTR?
Thanks!  That's what I needed.

Quote:
> Why don't you just use the constructor. I use it like this:
> SomeMethod( BSTR input )
> {
>     CComBSTR( input );
>     // Do what ever you want here...
> }

> You can also assign it like this;
>     CComBSTR bstr;
>     bstr.Attach( input ); // Remember to emtpy it first if it's already
> assigned.

> regards
>  Kjetil Kristoffer Solberg

> > I ran across that in the online help, but I found nothing on how to
> actually
> > do that.  How do I "connect" (for lack of a better word) the CComBSTR to
> the
> > actual BSTR?

> > Thanks!

> > Hi,

> > BSTR were introduced to satisfy all the programming communities. BSTRs
are
> > length
> > prefiexed as well as NULL-terminated string.  With BSTRs you have to
> provide
> > memory management functionalities (SysAllocString, SysFreeString). But
if
> > you use
> > the following wrapers classes, you don't need to:

> > ATL : CComBSTR
> > Visual C++: _bstr_t
> > Platform sdk: BSTR

> > Thanks

> > Arif

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:07:28 GMT

1. BSTR BSTR and BSTR

2. Using BSTR

3. Using BSTR in COM Exe server

4. using BSTR

5. Using BSTR and CString

6. Using BSTR

7. Using, in CE, _bstr_t (the BSTR COM encapsulation)

8. Freeing a BSTR when using SafeArray{Get|Put}Element

9. Using BSTR.

10. Using VB-DLL functions (VGAP4-DLL) and the datatype BSTR

11. Using, in CE, _bstr_t (the BSTR COM encapsulation)

12. Using BSTR in normal eVC dll and calling from eVB