ATL7 CComVariant operator == doesn't support VT_UNKNOWN?
Author Message
 ATL7 CComVariant operator == doesn't support VT_UNKNOWN?

i have some VC6/ATL3 code that i'm trying to build/run with VC7/ATL7, and
i'm running into a runtime problem with CComVariant == operator. it seems
that ATL7 CComVariant == no longer supports VT_UNKNOWN, whereas, ATL3 did.
the ATL7 code just calls VarCmp which does not appear to support VT_UNKNOWN
(returns 0x80020008, bad variable type).

anyway, does anyone know if this will be fixed/supported at some point in
the near future (e.g. service pack/upgrade)? i guess the other option is
mod'ing the ATL files (or deriving custom wrapper class from CComVariant),
but both of those have their drawbacks...

thanks for any info.
regards,
Jon

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 05:56:32 GMT
 ATL7 CComVariant operator == doesn't support VT_UNKNOWN?
That is correct, we made this change because we had some bugs in our
comparison. We had many issues with customers trying to use VarCmp, and then
running into issues with our comparison.

We are not planning on adding this support back in.

Sorry,

--
Pranish Kumar

Quote:
> i have some VC6/ATL3 code that i'm trying to build/run with VC7/ATL7, and
> i'm running into a runtime problem with CComVariant == operator. it seems
> that ATL7 CComVariant == no longer supports VT_UNKNOWN, whereas, ATL3 did.
> the ATL7 code just calls VarCmp which does not appear to support
VT_UNKNOWN
> (returns 0x80020008, bad variable type).

> anyway, does anyone know if this will be fixed/supported at some point in
> the near future (e.g. service pack/upgrade)? i guess the other option is
> mod'ing the ATL files (or deriving custom wrapper class from CComVariant),
> but both of those have their drawbacks...

> thanks for any info.
> regards,
> Jon

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 02:07:14 GMT

1. MFC App + Managed C++ : Release compiles, Debug DOESN'T (operator new issue)

2. If...Else works but ? operator doesn't

3. Operator Overloading attempt doesn't quite work...

4. Object doesn't support this property or method

5. VC 6 Sp3 still doesn't support DAO Jet 4 data sources in class wizard

6. VC6 doesn't support MMX (/GM) ?

7. Why ATL doesn't support const wrappers?

8. Doesn't Richedit EN_LINK support international characters?

9. VC++ 5.0 doesn't support ITS_RAW in ISAPI extension parse map

10. wfstream implementation doesn't support Unicode filenames

11. HtmlView control doesn't support flash player?

12. why C# doesn't support late-binding?