COM and .NET Which one in better 
Author Message
 COM and .NET Which one in better

I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and all
Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
instead.


Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:51:46 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better

Quote:

> I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and all
> Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
> instead.

All other things aside, COM has been around a long time whereas .NET
has only been around a year or so.  Most of the things you mention
pre-date .NET, so of course they use COM extensively.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++



Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:41:36 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
One word should be sufficient to describe it: marketing.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and all
> Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
> instead.



Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:11:42 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use .Net
after one and half year.

Quote:

> > I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and
all
> > Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
> > instead.

> All other things aside, COM has been around a long time whereas .NET
> has only been around a year or so.  Most of the things you mention
> pre-date .NET, so of course they use COM extensively.

> --
> Craig Powers
> MVP - Visual C++



Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:06:57 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
BizTalk Server
Commerce Server
Content Management Server
(according to http://gotdotnet.com/team/entservers/ )
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat,
and wrong." H.L. Mencken


Quote:
> Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use
.Net
> after one and half year.



Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:21:46 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
How certain you are these server applications are pure .Net

Quote:
> BizTalk Server
> Commerce Server
> Content Management Server
> (according to http://gotdotnet.com/team/entservers/ )
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat,
> and wrong." H.L. Mencken



> > Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use
> .Net
> > after one and half year.



Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:07:48 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better

Quote:
> How certain you are these server applications are pure .Net


Skip the * about  pure this and pure that (same about pure Java boxes)....

This is really an old subject but it has no value. .NET is added value while
each task can be done be several tools where .NET is the best tool to do new
web
applications and connections to other platforms. Pure .NET is not always
obvious...

Think about this, what is really pure? Is windows pure Windows? Nope,
sometimes you've got C++, C, MFC, ATL, ASM, and COM technology, and even vb
tools inside
huge microsoft packages..



Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:01:47 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
Microsoft Marketing Rules
==================

Here is rule A:
Standard Microsoft marketing answer:  "everything we did before is wrong,
.Net is right!"

Here is rule B:
Before you wrote the code in C++, now only Microsoft uses C++, be happy!

Here is rule C:
From today, you are all too stupid to work with core technology, so we give
you superscript, be happy!

Here is rule D:
Soon .Net will be old, and remember everything we did before is wrong!

:)))


One word should be sufficient to describe it: marketing.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================


Quote:
> I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and
all
> Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
> instead.



Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:38:43 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
These tools (C++, C, MFC, ATL, ASM, and COM ) are very different from .Net
and very near to each other and generate fast and compact codes.
If you listen to the microsoft advises about .Net (also Petzold and Richter
!!), you will go to the PURE .Net  and after completion of your project you
should go to coffee break for comming up your desktop application.
This type of marketing harms other software companies.


Quote:


> > How certain you are these server applications are pure .Net

> Skip the * about  pure this and pure that (same about pure Java boxes)....

> This is really an old subject but it has no value. .NET is added value
while
> each task can be done be several tools where .NET is the best tool to do
new
> web
> applications and connections to other platforms. Pure .NET is not always
> obvious...

> Think about this, what is really pure? Is windows pure Windows? Nope,
> sometimes you've got C++, C, MFC, ATL, ASM, and COM technology, and even
vb
> tools inside
> huge microsoft packages..



Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:18:37 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
Interesting and correct  rules.
I think MS use old style C++ (switch case with message loop) for its own
products and big companies as well. See the Word, it needs less than 2
second for coming up. What about Net version of Word!!

Quote:
> Microsoft Marketing Rules
> ==================

> Here is rule A:
> Standard Microsoft marketing answer:  "everything we did before is wrong,
> .Net is right!"

> Here is rule B:
> Before you wrote the code in C++, now only Microsoft uses C++, be happy!

> Here is rule C:
> From today, you are all too stupid to work with core technology, so we
give
> you superscript, be happy!

> Here is rule D:
> Soon .Net will be old, and remember everything we did before is wrong!

> :)))



> One word should be sufficient to describe it: marketing.

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================



> > I am confused. Why Microsoft use COM extensively (RTC is COM object and
> all
> > Office as well and OLEDB ...) but they say don't use COM and use .NET
> > instead.



Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:01:02 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better

Quote:

> Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use .Net
> after one and half year.

I wouldn't expect a whole lot.  A year and a half isn't that long.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++



Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:57:21 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better
and how about Oracle, Autodesk, Adobe, ...

Quote:

> > Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use .Net
> > after one and half year.

> I wouldn't expect a whole lot.  A year and a half isn't that long.

> --
> Craig Powers
> MVP - Visual C++



Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:12:02 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better

Quote:




> > > Which microsoft product (aside some parts of Visual Studio.Net) use .Net
> > > after one and half year.

> > I wouldn't expect a whole lot.  A year and a half isn't that long.

> and how about Oracle, Autodesk, Adobe, ...

A year and a half is no shorter for them than it is for Microsoft.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++



Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:21:06 GMT  
 COM and .NET Which one in better

Quote:
> These tools (C++, C, MFC, ATL, ASM, and COM ) are very different from .Net
> and very near to each other and generate fast and compact codes.
> If you listen to the microsoft advises about .Net (also Petzold and
Richter
> !!), you will go to the PURE .Net  and after completion of your project
you
> should go to coffee break for comming up your desktop application.
> This type of marketing harms other software companies.

Tom,

I completely agree with them.
I've made some .NET components using MC++. There's not any reason to make
slow components or GUI software when you use a .NET tool (like MC, C# etc).

With C# and VB.NET, you could have some problems if you make your project
only with C# or only with VB.NET. It's just that you should be capable and
have much affinity with efficient code. These days, only some gurus know the
good code :)

But if you look at the .NET runtime, you'll notice that big chunks of the
.NET runtime are wrappers for some COM components. So again, saying 'pure'
and thinking that they would mean IL and only IL within a memory application
space is non-realistic.

About the 'coffee' and waiting for your app to come up, this is an old
folk-story...  I've got ASP.Net matrix (a free tool, written by Microsoft)
and it starts up in a about 10 seconds... Visual Studio (written with C++)
starts up using the same time.

And many performance problems, have been solved in .NET 1.1.



Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:22:41 GMT  
 
 [ 14 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Free .NET IDE (Any good ones out there)

2. VS.NET: Adding one .cs file to more then one project

3. Inherit multiple Com Classes into one Com class

4. VC++ COM or VB COM - Which is better?

5. what is best - Visual C# .NET or Visual C++.NET

6. com and com+ in .net

7. .NET: COM vs NET

8. com and com+ in .net

9. Using a COM object in .NET that calls back to the invoking .NET class

10. Know anyone a good .NET/C#/Vb.net/ASP.NET/ADO.NET message board/mailing list/newsletter???????

11. Which one is good ?

12. Which one is good ?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software