Showing multiple COM objects & their UI's in a consistent way
Author Message
 Showing multiple COM objects & their UI's in a consistent way

I have several COM objects (defined in seperate DLLs) that are each
configurable in some way.  All the configurations are read from/written to
the registry.  All instances of a particular COM object use the same
configurations at any given time.  Currently each COM object supports an
interface called IConfigurableComponent which has a method on it called
ShowSettingsUI.  When the ShowSettingsUI() method is called on each of the
COM objects, a settings dialog corresponding to that COM object is brought
up - and any changes the user makes are saved in the registry.

I would like to create a generic settings dialog that has two panes - on the
left side, there is a tree view, which shows all COM objects in some
hierarchy, and on the right side, I would like the settings UI for each COM
object to show up.  This is similar to the UI that comes up when you
right-click on My-Computer and click on Manage (clicking on each item in the
tree control brings up a different UI on the right side).

How can I do something like this for my COM objects?  I have no idea where
to start...and any references, hints, or tips would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks much in advance,
Arvind.

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:07:02 GMT
 Showing multiple COM objects & their UI's in a consistent way
That is an MMC snap-in. You should consider your COM objects as a
single entity - a toolkit perhaps, which you administer with your MMC
snap-in. (MMC = Microsoft Management Console.) ATL has built-in
support for writing MMC snap-ins. The snap-in is a (separate) DLL
exposing COM objects for use in MMC.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> I have several COM objects (defined in seperate DLLs) that are each
> configurable in some way.  All the configurations are read from/written to
> the registry.  All instances of a particular COM object use the same
> configurations at any given time.  Currently each COM object supports an
> interface called IConfigurableComponent which has a method on it called
> ShowSettingsUI.  When the ShowSettingsUI() method is called on each of the
> COM objects, a settings dialog corresponding to that COM object is brought
> up - and any changes the user makes are saved in the registry.

> I would like to create a generic settings dialog that has two panes - on the
> left side, there is a tree view, which shows all COM objects in some
> hierarchy, and on the right side, I would like the settings UI for each COM
> object to show up.  This is similar to the UI that comes up when you
> right-click on My-Computer and click on Manage (clicking on each item in the
> tree control brings up a different UI on the right side).

> How can I do something like this for my COM objects?  I have no idea where
> to start...and any references, hints, or tips would be very much
> appreciated.

> Thanks much in advance,
> Arvind.

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:57:53 GMT

1. Showing multiple COM objects & their UI's in a consistent way

2. UI with COM object

3. Simple ways to Improve my UI

4. Multithreaded COM Won't Use Multiple CPU's

5. Using multiple interfaces of a COM object

6. Why didn't ANSI make initialisation consistent ????

7. ATL COM w/multiple objects

8. Multiple instances of same COM object

9. COM properties don't show in VB watch window

10. Multiple instances of COM object

11. How to share COM OBJECT between multiple PROCESS?

12. Showing an ATL object's property page