Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Author Message
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?

Is this a known bug? If I just create an ATL Project using the
VS .NET wizard and then compiled. If I try afterwards to unregister
it twice - on the second try I get the following error message:

"Unregistration failed - Error accessing the OLE registry. (0x8002801c)"

Regards.

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:47:10 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
"It ain't there, so we fail."

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> Is this a known bug? If I just create an ATL Project using the
> VS .NET wizard and then compiled. If I try afterwards to unregister
> it twice - on the second try I get the following error message:

> "Unregistration failed - Error accessing the OLE registry. (0x8002801c)"

> Regards.

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:54:49 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Failing is always a BUG!

Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
"It ain't there, so we fail."

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> Is this a known bug? If I just create an ATL Project using the
> VS .NET wizard and then compiled. If I try afterwards to unregister
> it twice - on the second try I get the following error message:

> "Unregistration failed - Error accessing the OLE registry. (0x8002801c)"

> Regards.

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:11:31 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Huh? If you are trying to read a secured file, and the program does
_not_ fail even if you don't have enough permissions, I would consider
_that_ a BUG.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> Failing is always a BUG!

> Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
> "It ain't there, so we fail."

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================

> > Is this a known bug? If I just create an ATL Project using the
> > VS .NET wizard and then compiled. If I try afterwards to unregister
> > it twice - on the second try I get the following error message:

> > "Unregistration failed - Error accessing the OLE registry.
(0x8002801c)"

> > Regards.

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:20:50 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Failing is one thing, and checking first for the file permissions(or the
registry entries)
and issuing a proper message is a completely another thing in my opinion.

Regards.

Quote:
> Huh? If you are trying to read a secured file, and the program does
> _not_ fail even if you don't have enough permissions, I would consider
> _that_ a BUG.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> and wrong." H.L. Mencken

> > Failing is always a BUG!

> > Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
> > "It ain't there, so we fail."

> > --
> > =====================================
> > Alexander Nickolov
> > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> > =====================================

> > > Is this a known bug? If I just create an ATL Project using the
> > > VS .NET wizard and then compiled. If I try afterwards to unregister
> > > it twice - on the second try I get the following error message:

> > > "Unregistration failed - Error accessing the OLE registry.
> (0x8002801c)"

> > > Regards.

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:09:39 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
I agree with Igor, John. You did get a proper error message.

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:26:44 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
In my opinion this is an obvious mishandling of an error condition.
And as a proof I'll give you another scenario:

1. Create an empty ATL project using the ATL wizard.
2. Add an ATL Com Control using the ATL wizard again.
3. Build the project.
4. Unregister twice and on the second try  you'll see an ASSERTION!

Are you going to say again that this is normal? May be so for Microsoft...

Quote:
> Failing is one thing, and checking first for the file permissions(or the
> registry entries)
> and issuing a proper message is a completely another thing in my opinion.

> Regards.

> > Huh? If you are trying to read a secured file, and the program does
> > _not_ fail even if you don't have enough permissions, I would consider
> > _that_ a BUG.
> > --
> > With best wishes,
> >     Igor Tandetnik

> > "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat,
> > and wrong." H.L. Mencken

> > > Failing is always a BUG!

> > > Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
> > > "It ain't there, so we fail."

> > > --
> > > =====================================
> > > Alexander Nickolov
> > > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> > > =====================================

> > (0x8002801c)"

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:43:30 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Define "proper error message". Weren't you issued one? If you consider
it "imporper", why and which one would you expect?
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> Failing is one thing, and checking first for the file permissions(or
the
> registry entries)
> and issuing a proper message is a completely another thing in my
opinion.

> Regards.

> > Huh? If you are trying to read a secured file, and the program does
> > _not_ fail even if you don't have enough permissions, I would
consider
> > _that_ a BUG.
> > --
> > With best wishes,
> >     Igor Tandetnik

> > "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,
neat,
> > and wrong." H.L. Mencken

> > > Failing is always a BUG!

> > > Doesn't seem like a bug to me - this is the expected behavior.
> > > "It ain't there, so we fail."

> > > --
> > > =====================================
> > > Alexander Nickolov
> > > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> > > =====================================

> > (0x8002801c)"

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:49:32 GMT
 Bug in VC7/ATL when unregister twice?
Assertion is there to help you debug problems. In this case, you might
be debugging registration/unregistration problems, and the assertion
would give you a useful information. Any assertions are removed from the
release build, in which case a second unregistration would silently do
nothing.

Do you really want all functions to fail silently without any way to
find out whether the problem occured, or what caused it? Do you never
use assertions? If you ever write a library, please remind me to steer
clear of it - I shudder at the though of having to debug a program using
it.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> In my opinion this is an obvious mishandling of an error condition.
> And as a proof I'll give you another scenario:

> 1. Create an empty ATL project using the ATL wizard.
> 2. Add an ATL Com Control using the ATL wizard again.
> 3. Build the project.
> 4. Unregister twice and on the second try  you'll see an ASSERTION!

> Are you going to say again that this is normal? May be so for
Microsoft...

> > Failing is one thing, and checking first for the file permissions(or
the
> > registry entries)
> > and issuing a proper message is a completely another thing in my
opinion.

> > Regards.

> > > Huh? If you are trying to read a secured file, and the program
does
> > > _not_ fail even if you don't have enough permissions, I would
consider
> > > _that_ a BUG.
> > > --
> > > With best wishes,
> > >     Igor Tandetnik

> > > "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,
neat,
> > > and wrong." H.L. Mencken

message:

> > > (0x8002801c)"

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:57:35 GMT

1. VC7 ATL Composite Control bug?

2. VC7 ATL Composite Control bug

3. possible bug in VC6, VC7, VC7.1

4. Possible bug in vc7.0 (and vc7.1)

5. ATL Snap-In (un)cleaning of registry after UnRegister

6. Unregister ATL Service?

7. Unable to Unregister ATL 3.0 Snap-In

8. Unregister an ATL Service

9. my bug or VC7 bug ?

10. Unable to use ATL wizard in VC6 after using ATL wizard in VC7 dot net beta2

11. BUG: VC++ Project requires compilation twice

12. BUG: VC++ Project requires compilation twice