Service registration and DCOM
Author Message
 Service registration and DCOM

I am writing my first production application using DCOM and am having a
problem understanding some of the registration requirements.  I am testing
using Win2000 pro but it has to work with NT and 2000 servers and NT, 2000,
and XP clients.

The service was created using VS 6.0 ATL and the COM/Service wizard.  It
works fine when I run it locally.  When I try running it remotely I did the
following:

Server:

regsvr32 MyServiceps.dll
MyService -Service

Client:

regsvr32 MyServiceps.dll
MyService -Service
Use dcomcnfg to point MyService to server

Is this correct?  Is there more to do?  It seems odd to register the service
on the client this way since it makes MyService a service on the client.
Should it be registered using -RegServer?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 22:07:19 GMT
 Service registration and DCOM
You might refer to MSDN article Q184696, in order to create a .VBR file
and, either
- distribute it with VB's Package and Deployment Wizard, along with some VB client, or
- registering the .VBR manually at the client side, using clireg32.exe instead of regsvr32.exe.

In any case, reading Q184696 might give you a light on the registry keys involved.

Also, creating a minimal VB ActiveX EXE project, and changing at
Project Properties, tab "Component", a checkbox named "Remote Server Files", or something like,
when recompiling to an .exe, will produce too a .VBR file which you might use as a sample.
Also, if you can register this minimal VB EXE server remotely, then you'll be able to
do the same with your ATL project.

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:17:59 GMT
 Service registration and DCOM
I can refer you to "Professional DCOM Programming" by Dr Richard
Grimes, Wrox Press for the registry keys involved in client-side
registration. All the info is also available in MSDN Library of course.
You don't need to register the service at the client, but doing so
and then modifying the remote activation via DCOMCnfg is the
easiest way to go. Remember to manually delete the LocalServer32
entry and delete the service after you do so. Then simply export
the registry keys and use that as the basis for your client-side
registration. Sadly, ATL does not provide anything to facilitate
you - no equivalent of the VBR files from VB...

Of course you also need to register any proxy/stub DLLs and/or
type libraries at the client...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> I am writing my first production application using DCOM and am having a
> problem understanding some of the registration requirements.  I am testing
> using Win2000 pro but it has to work with NT and 2000 servers and NT, 2000,
> and XP clients.

> The service was created using VS 6.0 ATL and the COM/Service wizard.  It
> works fine when I run it locally.  When I try running it remotely I did the
> following:

> Server:

> regsvr32 MyServiceps.dll
> MyService -Service

> Client:

> regsvr32 MyServiceps.dll
> MyService -Service
> Use dcomcnfg to point MyService to server

> Is this correct?  Is there more to do?  It seems odd to register the service
> on the client this way since it makes MyService a service on the client.
> Should it be registered using -RegServer?

> Thanks in advance.

> Brad

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:53:20 GMT

1. Windows Service Deployment and Service registration

2. DCOM registration

3. DCOM registration on client machines

4. DCOM Server registration

5. ShareIt! - shareware registration service on the Internet

6. Problem with re-registration of ATL service

7. Service registration problem

8. Service registration problem

9. Windows Service Registration

10. DCOM Service ATL NT4 client / win2000 server

11. DCOM Service

12. ATL DCOM service problem