Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Author Message
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control

In the VB toolbox each ActiveX control is depicted with a .BMP image. I want
to change the image of a VC++ control that I have created. I see the default
in the resource file but I cannot see where, in code, it is assigned to the
control. Does anyone know how the control designates its bitmap?

Many thanks!

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:31:07 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
It's in the registry. Check out the ToolboxBitmap32 registry key

  /claes

Quote:
> In the VB toolbox each ActiveX control is depicted with a .BMP image. I
want
> to change the image of a VC++ control that I have created. I see the
default
> in the resource file but I cannot see where, in code, it is assigned to
the
> control. Does anyone know how the control designates its bitmap?

> Many thanks!

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:24:07 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Many thanks.

Quote:
> It's in the registry. Check out the ToolboxBitmap32 registry key

>   /claes

> > In the VB toolbox each ActiveX control is depicted with a .BMP image. I
> want
> > to change the image of a VC++ control that I have created. I see the
> default
> > in the resource file but I cannot see where, in code, it is assigned to
> the
> > control. Does anyone know how the control designates its bitmap?

> > Many thanks!

Sat, 01 May 2004 11:03:00 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Hi,

I have this case you have explained at the bottom but I still see the
standart icon when I open "installed ActiveX controls" window from the
Internet Explorer. What' wrong? Any ideas.

Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
> It's in the registry. Check out the ToolboxBitmap32 registry key

>   /claes

> > In the VB toolbox each ActiveX control is depicted with a .BMP image. I
> want
> > to change the image of a VC++ control that I have created. I see the
> default
> > in the resource file but I cannot see where, in code, it is assigned to
> the
> > control. Does anyone know how the control designates its bitmap?

> > Many thanks!

Sat, 01 May 2004 19:24:10 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Not sure what window you're refering to?!? My version of IE doesn't have any
"installed ActiveX controls" window (at least not that I can find).

Do you get the correct bitmap in VB? If so you have the registry setup
correctly
and the window you're refering to uses something else (don't know what).
Do a search on MSDN and see if you find anything.

  /claes

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have this case you have explained at the bottom but I still see the
> standart icon when I open "installed ActiveX controls" window from the
> Internet Explorer. What' wrong? Any ideas.

> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

> > It's in the registry. Check out the ToolboxBitmap32 registry key

> >   /claes

> > > In the VB toolbox each ActiveX control is depicted with a .BMP image.
> > want
> > > to change the image of a VC++ control that I have created. I see the
> > default
> > > in the resource file but I cannot see where, in code, it is assigned
> > the
> > > control. Does anyone know how the control designates its bitmap?

> > > Many thanks!

Sun, 02 May 2004 19:49:12 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Also, did he register the new control?

regards.

Quote:
> Not sure what window you're refering to?!? My version of IE doesn't have
any
> "installed ActiveX controls" window (at least not that I can find).

> Do you get the correct bitmap in VB? If so you have the registry setup
> correctly
> and the window you're refering to uses something else (don't know what).
> Do a search on MSDN and see if you find anything.

>   /claes

> > Hi,

> > I have this case you have explained at the bottom but I still see the
> > standart icon when I open "installed ActiveX controls" window from the
> > Internet Explorer. What' wrong? Any ideas.

> > Rossen Tzonev
> > Sofia, Bulgaria

> > > It's in the registry. Check out the ToolboxBitmap32 registry key

> > >   /claes

> > > want
> > > default
> > > the

Mon, 03 May 2004 13:38:45 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Hi all,

1. In the registry for my control "ToolboxBitmap32" has a "Default =
D:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\CONFLICT.4\FASHIO~1.DLL,202"
2. In the DLL there is bitmap (16x16 256 colors) resource with number "202"
3. The control is downloaded and installed by the IE

But I see the standart "ActiveX icon" for the controls (which is generated
forst by the wizard). Why

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
> Also, did he register the new control?

> regards.

> > Not sure what window you're refering to?!? My version of IE doesn't have
> any
> > "installed ActiveX controls" window (at least not that I can find).

> > Do you get the correct bitmap in VB? If so you have the registry setup
> > correctly
> > and the window you're refering to uses something else (don't know what).
> > Do a search on MSDN and see if you find anything.

> >   /claes

> > > Hi,

> > > I have this case you have explained at the bottom but I still see the
> > > standart icon when I open "installed ActiveX controls" window from the
> > > Internet Explorer. What' wrong? Any ideas.

> > > Rossen Tzonev
> > > Sofia, Bulgaria

message

message

> image.

Tue, 04 May 2004 19:12:54 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
And just to mention: IE keeps a list of ActiveX controls which it has
installed until now. Each control has various parameters and it is shown
with its icon. But as I said, I can not see the correct one, but only the
standard.

I do not know anything about VB :-) so I can not test with it
Cheers

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:
> Also, did he register the new control?

> regards.

> > Not sure what window you're refering to?!? My version of IE doesn't have
> any
> > "installed ActiveX controls" window (at least not that I can find).

> > Do you get the correct bitmap in VB? If so you have the registry setup
> > correctly
> > and the window you're refering to uses something else (don't know what).
> > Do a search on MSDN and see if you find anything.

> >   /claes

> > > Hi,

> > > I have this case you have explained at the bottom but I still see the
> > > standart icon when I open "installed ActiveX controls" window from the
> > > Internet Explorer. What' wrong? Any ideas.

> > > Rossen Tzonev
> > > Sofia, Bulgaria

message

message

> image.

Tue, 04 May 2004 19:16:58 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control

Quote:
> And just to mention: IE keeps a list of ActiveX controls which it has
> installed until now. Each control has various parameters and it is shown
> with its icon. But as I said, I can not see the correct one, but only the
> standard.

You still haven't told us where you find that list of installed controls in
IE.

Quote:
> I do not know anything about VB :-) so I can not test with it

Try Ole Viewer then. It will show the bitmap in the left tree view
(note that it takes a while for it to update its tree with the correct
bitmaps)

  /claes

Fri, 07 May 2004 17:39:09 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
I thought you are joking :-)

From IE: "Tools\Internet Options". Then "Settings..." for "Temporary
Internet Files" and then click "View Objects".
I hope this helps.

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Quote:

> > And just to mention: IE keeps a list of ActiveX controls which it has
> > installed until now. Each control has various parameters and it is shown
> > with its icon. But as I said, I can not see the correct one, but only
the
> > standard.

> You still haven't told us where you find that list of installed controls
in
> IE.

> > I do not know anything about VB :-) so I can not test with it

> Try Ole Viewer then. It will show the bitmap in the left tree view
> (note that it takes a while for it to update its tree with the correct
> bitmaps)

>   /claes

Sat, 08 May 2004 02:41:36 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Cool, didn't know about that one!

OK, now I know what icon you're refering to.
Unfortunately I have no idea how (or even if) you
can change it. It's obviously not the one specified
with the ToolboxBitmap32 key

  /claes

Quote:
> I thought you are joking :-)

> From IE: "Tools\Internet Options". Then "Settings..." for "Temporary
> Internet Files" and then click "View Objects".
> I hope this helps.

> --
> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

> > > And just to mention: IE keeps a list of ActiveX controls which it has
> > > installed until now. Each control has various parameters and it is
shown
> > > with its icon. But as I said, I can not see the correct one, but only
> the
> > > standard.

> > You still haven't told us where you find that list of installed controls
> in
> > IE.

> > > I do not know anything about VB :-) so I can not test with it

> > Try Ole Viewer then. It will show the bitmap in the left tree view
> > (note that it takes a while for it to update its tree with the correct
> > bitmaps)

> >   /claes

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:19:44 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
To be honest only once I have seen the correct icon. After then I did not
had any success :-(

Anyway. I will try to look over it.

Quote:
> Cool, didn't know about that one!

> OK, now I know what icon you're refering to.
> Unfortunately I have no idea how (or even if) you
> can change it. It's obviously not the one specified
> with the ToolboxBitmap32 key

>   /claes

> > I thought you are joking :-)

> > From IE: "Tools\Internet Options". Then "Settings..." for "Temporary
> > Internet Files" and then click "View Objects".
> > I hope this helps.

> > --
> > Rossen Tzonev
> > Sofia, Bulgaria

> shown
> > the

> > > You still haven't told us where you find that list of installed
controls
> > in
> > > IE.

> > > Try Ole Viewer then. It will show the bitmap in the left tree view
> > > (note that it takes a while for it to update its tree with the correct
> > > bitmaps)

> > >   /claes

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:54:19 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
AFAIK, it must be 15x16. Igor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> Hi all,

> 1. In the registry for my control "ToolboxBitmap32" has a "Default =
> D:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\CONFLICT.4\FASHIO~1.DLL,202"
> 2. In the DLL there is bitmap (16x16 256 colors) resource with number
"202"
> 3. The control is downloaded and installed by the IE

> But I see the standart "ActiveX icon" for the controls (which is generated
> forst by the wizard). Why

> --
> Rossen Tzonev
> Sofia, Bulgaria

> > Also, did he register the new control?

> > regards.

> > > Not sure what window you're refering to?!? My version of IE doesn't
have
> > any
> > > "installed ActiveX controls" window (at least not that I can find).

> > > Do you get the correct bitmap in VB? If so you have the registry setup
> > > correctly
> > > and the window you're refering to uses something else (don't know
what).
> > > Do a search on MSDN and see if you find anything.

> > >   /claes

> message

> message

> > image.
> the
> assigned

Sun, 16 May 2004 02:37:39 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Actually, in the window the OP is referring to (Tools | Internet Options |
General | Settings | View Objects) every single ActiveX control installed
has the same icon, which does not at all look like MFC icon. I guess this
particular namespace extension does not consult the control's Toolbox Bitmap
setting at all, and uses some predefined icon instead. However, Java Runtime
Environment plugin manages to be shown with a custom icon. No clue how this
is done.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> AFAIK, it must be 15x16. Igor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================

> > Hi all,

> > 1. In the registry for my control "ToolboxBitmap32" has a "Default =
> > D:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\CONFLICT.4\FASHIO~1.DLL,202"
> > 2. In the DLL there is bitmap (16x16 256 colors) resource with number
> "202"
> > 3. The control is downloaded and installed by the IE

> > But I see the standart "ActiveX icon" for the controls (which is
generated
> > forst by the wizard). Why

> > --
> > Rossen Tzonev
> > Sofia, Bulgaria

> > > Also, did he register the new control?

> > > regards.

message

> have
> > > any

> what).

> the
> the

> > message

> > message

> > > image.
> > the
> > assigned
bitmap?

Sun, 16 May 2004 03:17:44 GMT
 Changing the toolbox bitmap of a control
Hi,

According to the MSDN all the apps, which wants to show the ActiveX control
as an icon, should look in the registy for that control, where
"ToolboxBitmap32" key has default value which is set to the control local
path and the reosurce ID of the bitmap, which represents the control.

I have put my control in VB toolbars and I can definetely see my icon. But
in IE I can not (as Igor wrote the installed ActiveX controls can be found
in Tools|Internet Options|General|...).

More info. I have deleted all the files for the control "manually" from the
location where IE installs it (on my PC - "\WINNT\Downloaded Program
Files\*.*") and then lunched the installation process again (via HTML page).
Then I can see that the installed file contains only one icon (mine) but IE
continues to show the standart one. And my icon is "16x16". Alex, are you
sure it must be 15x16. Because the helo for "ToolboxBitmap32" says "16x16".

Best regards

--
Rossen Tzonev
Sofia, Bulgaria

Malei samo kak vali sniag v BG. Ne e istina :-) Triabva da vidia kyde beshe
Borovec che veche sym zabravil :-)

Quote:
> Actually, in the window the OP is referring to (Tools | Internet Options |
> General | Settings | View Objects) every single ActiveX control installed
> has the same icon, which does not at all look like MFC icon. I guess this
> particular namespace extension does not consult the control's Toolbox
Bitmap
> setting at all, and uses some predefined icon instead. However, Java
Runtime
> Environment plugin manages to be shown with a custom icon. No clue how
this
> is done.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
> wrong." H.L. Mencken

> > AFAIK, it must be 15x16. Igor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

> > --
> > =====================================
> > Alexander Nickolov
> > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> > =====================================

> > > Hi all,

> > > 1. In the registry for my control "ToolboxBitmap32" has a "Default =
> > > D:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\CONFLICT.4\FASHIO~1.DLL,202"
> > > 2. In the DLL there is bitmap (16x16 256 colors) resource with number
> > "202"
> > > 3. The control is downloaded and installed by the IE

> > > But I see the standart "ActiveX icon" for the controls (which is
> generated
> > > forst by the wizard). Why

> > > --
> > > Rossen Tzonev
> > > Sofia, Bulgaria

> message

> > have
find).

> setup
> > what).

> > the
> > the

> > > message

key

> > > message

> see
> > > the
> > > assigned
> bitmap?

Mon, 17 May 2004 17:29:58 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. C++ control and toolbox bitmap problem

2. Toolbox Bitmap (Again)

3. Change bitmap colors when cut item from tree control

4. Static Control Bitmap change

5. Changing the bitmap in a Static dialog box control

6. Can I change the CEdit control's background to a bitmap

7. Manipulating bitmap or changing bitmap background...

8. Change a color bitmap to 8 bit gray scale bitmap

9. .NET Custom control toolbox icon

10. User controls disappear from toolbox!

11. IDE Toolbox support for custom wrapped ActiveX controls

12. HELP! Project Controls in Toolbox