Can't register DLL
Author Message
 Can't register DLL

I'm having trouble registering a DLL (ATL - VS.NET), i keep getting a
message error from regsvr32.

    command:
regsvr32 "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio
Projects\DockEngine\Debug\DockEngine.dll"

    error:
LoadLibrary("D:\Documents") failed - The specified module could not be found

I am passing the full path of the DLL as regsvr32 parameter and the path is
correct! I don't know why the error messagebox display only the path until
the first space character and i don't have a clue about why it can't
register the component...

The dependecies of the component are:
COMCTL32.DLL
WINMM.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
USER32.DLL
GDI32.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL
SHELL32.DLL
OLE32.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
SHLWAPI.DLL

The error appears on Debug and Release builds!
I really need help on this!

Thanks in advance!

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 06:14:14 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Looks to me as if you forgot to embrace the path in quotes and typed:

regsvr32 D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio

It would give the exact error message you described.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:02:00 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Hello,

    I think, your system is not recognising the windows full path name. You
could try with either of the following...

Option 1:

    try with DOS naming convention. (ie) Regsvr32 "D:\Documm~1\Admini~1\My
Doc~1\Visual~1\DockEn~1\Debug\DockEngine.dll"
Please make sure ~X (X = 1 or 2 or depends on your directory list) is
correct.

Option 2:

    Use CD(change Directory) to the directory where DockEngine.dll is
located and just give - Regsvr32 DockEngine.dll

Option 3:

    shift + Right Mouse Button Click -> Open with -> Browse ->
..Winnt/system32/regsvr32.exe

    As well in the open with dialog, check the 'Always use this file to open
thjis program' check box, so that each time when you click the COM .dll
files, it will register for you.

With regs
Venkat

Quote:
> I'm having trouble registering a DLL (ATL - VS.NET), i keep getting a
> message error from regsvr32.

>     command:
> regsvr32 "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual
Studio
> Projects\DockEngine\Debug\DockEngine.dll"

>     error:
> LoadLibrary("D:\Documents") failed - The specified module could not be
found

> I am passing the full path of the DLL as regsvr32 parameter and the path
is
> correct! I don't know why the error messagebox display only the path until
> the first space character and i don't have a clue about why it can't
> register the component...

> The dependecies of the component are:
> COMCTL32.DLL
> WINMM.DLL
> KERNEL32.DLL
> USER32.DLL
> GDI32.DLL
> ADVAPI32.DLL
> SHELL32.DLL
> OLE32.DLL
> OLEAUT32.DLL
> SHLWAPI.DLL

> The error appears on Debug and Release builds!
> I really need help on this!

> Thanks in advance!

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:43:19 GMT
 Can't register DLL
I tried, but it didn't work, but when i drag the .DLL file over regsvr32.exe
it does not show any messages, in the command prompt it doesn't display even
an error code!

I also have recompiled a backup (older) version of the same component and it
registered just fine. That makes me beleive that the error of the
registration is something in the new code added, but there are a lot of
changes since then and i don't know what it could be!

Does anyone have any idea of what may be going on?

Thanks!

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:33:18 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Any chance you're returning FALSE from InitInstance
for some reason?

Regards,
Drew

Quote:
> I tried, but it didn't work, but when i drag the .DLL file over
regsvr32.exe
> it does not show any messages, in the command prompt it doesn't display
even
> an error code!

> I also have recompiled a backup (older) version of the same component and
it
> registered just fine. That makes me beleive that the error of the
> registration is something in the new code added, but there are a lot of
> changes since then and i don't know what it could be!

> Does anyone have any idea of what may be going on?

> Thanks!

---

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:21:30 GMT
 Can't register DLL

Quote:
> Any chance you're returning FALSE from InitInstance
> for some reason?

> Regards,
> Drew

I'm using ATL's module classes, and i haven't changed this part of the
project, the changes were made in the classes exposed by the component, I
decided to have many specific classes instead of a generic one, and the
changes necessary to make it work with the rest, the project is compiling
and linking normally, the registration raises an error on the Build, but
that's it, no further information is given...

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:34:19 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Try using the Profile option in depends.exe ver 2.1.

Open Dependency Walker
File/Open regsvr32.exe
Profile/Start Profiling
Put path to your DLL in edit box click OK

You should get some output which may help pinpoint your problem.

Regards,
Drew

Quote:
> > Any chance you're returning FALSE from InitInstance
> > for some reason?

> > Regards,
> > Drew

> I'm using ATL's module classes, and i haven't changed this part of the
> project, the changes were made in the classes exposed by the component, I
> decided to have many specific classes instead of a generic one, and the
> changes necessary to make it work with the rest, the project is compiling
> and linking normally, the registration raises an error on the Build, but
> that's it, no further information is given...

---

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 02:01:15 GMT
 Can't register DLL
You can debug registration - specify regsvr32.exe as your executable
for debug session.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> > Any chance you're returning FALSE from InitInstance
> > for some reason?

> > Regards,
> > Drew

> I'm using ATL's module classes, and i haven't changed this part of the
> project, the changes were made in the classes exposed by the component, I
> decided to have many specific classes instead of a generic one, and the
> changes necessary to make it work with the rest, the project is compiling
> and linking normally, the registration raises an error on the Build, but
> that's it, no further information is given...

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 03:51:21 GMT
 Can't register DLL
I'm still suspicious about the blanks in the path name.

Can you copy the dll to another directory that doesn't have embedded blanks
in the path name and confirm that there is still a problem? (And please post
the result, out of curiosity.... Thanks)

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 04:50:05 GMT
 Can't register DLL

Quote:
> I'm still suspicious about the blanks in the path name.

> Can you copy the dll to another directory that doesn't have embedded
blanks
> in the path name and confirm that there is still a problem? (And please
post
> the result, out of curiosity.... Thanks)

I've copied to the root and tried, I also tried copying the .dll to the
directory of regsvr32.exe and other crazy combinations!

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 04:56:20 GMT
 Can't register DLL
You can debug registration - specify regsvr32.exe as your executable
for debug session.

---- x ----

But this only shows assembly code (from regsvr32.exe) and I'm no expert in
ASM!

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:05:00 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Hmm, did you build it in Release per chance? You can add debug
information to release builds too, but it's much easier to debug your
Debug configurations...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> You can debug registration - specify regsvr32.exe as your executable
> for debug session.

> ---- x ----

> But this only shows assembly code (from regsvr32.exe) and I'm no expert in
> ASM!

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:20:23 GMT
 Can't register DLL
Put breakpoints into DllMain and DllRegisterServer, let it run until it
hits your breakpoints.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> You can debug registration - specify regsvr32.exe as your executable
> for debug session.

> ---- x ----

> But this only shows assembly code (from regsvr32.exe) and I'm no
expert in
> ASM!

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:47:11 GMT

1. mfc dll doesn't register (I'm new at this)

2. mfc dll can't self-register (I'm new at this)

3. Can't register DLL directly into COM+ services

4. why dll can't be registered

5. COM dll builds but doesn't register

6. Custom Build doesn't register ATL DLL

7. COM dll's path has problem in register

8. Can't register DAO350.DLL -- WHY???

9. DLL registered well but doesn't work on Win95

10. Can not register dll, won't install

11. Can't register a DLL using REGSVR32

12. ATL COM DLL won't register