ActiveX control memory management when used in IE
Author Message
 ActiveX control memory management when used in IE

I have an ActiveX control which is used in a web page. Using a release
version of the cotrol if I repeatedly invoke the web page without shutting
down IE there appears to be a significant memory leak. If however I use a
debug version of the dll very little memory is leaked. The memory usage
pattern on the debug dll is fairly random, i.e. memory is given back every 3
or 4 invokations of the web page.

Any thoughts on why this behavior???

Andrew Wiles

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:27:43 GMT
 ActiveX control memory management when used in IE
Memory leaks can be very difficult to track down unless you use a tool like
Boundschecker or Purify.

You should also be aware of BSTR caching, which might partially explain the
behavior you are describing. The only way to know for sure, is to disable
it.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q139/0/71.asp

HTH

Brian Muth

Quote:
> I have an ActiveX control which is used in a web page. Using a release
> version of the cotrol if I repeatedly invoke the web page without shutting
> down IE there appears to be a significant memory leak. If however I use a
> debug version of the dll very little memory is leaked. The memory usage
> pattern on the debug dll is fairly random, i.e. memory is given back every
3
> or 4 invokations of the web page.

> Any thoughts on why this behavior???

> Andrew Wiles

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:30:59 GMT

1. Upload file using IE ActiveX Control

2. Activex control license management

3. Palette Management and MFC ActiveX Controls

4. Using a _bstr_t for memory management

5. Q: SetWindowLong/GetWindowLong calls for ActiveX IE control

6. ATL ActiveX Control Event not firing in IE?

7. IE 5.x printing and ActiveX controls

8. Unload ActiveX Control from IE?

9. IE ActiveX control and Netscape plug-in

10. Threads, ActiveX Control and IE

11. ActiveX Control's SetTimer Fails with IE Refresh

12. Can IE get events from a ActiveX Control?