Event interface over the internet - am I INSANE?
Author Message
 Event interface over the internet - am I INSANE?

Like many others (chasing big bucks) I was looking at porting an application
to the WEB and exposing its services on-line. I was not restricting myself
to maintaining the current code set, but looking at the best implementation
to deliver the same functionality as currently delivered. Here's the rub.
The application must control a resource on the server - AND it must notify
the client of changes in the state of that server based resource..... so,
without having to be real-time, the client side application must respond to
events from the server-side. This is where my ignorance starts and my
research begins.
I guess that this is a fairly common problem but I cannot find any well
documented strategies to handle this. As a VC++/ATL programmer I am well
aware of the capability of DCOM to do this, but remote event interfaces are
dogged by security issues event in a private network. I expected to find
some MSDN based resource covering "using event interface over the internet"
but, unless I'm looking in the wrong place there is nothing. So can anyone
help me.

1. Can DCOM be used (practically) to provide some "server-side event
interfacing" over the internet. If not why not? Any docs?
2. Is there another higher-level (eg netmeeting app sharing) or lower-level
(eg sockets) approach that I could/should be used to crack this nut.

Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Event interface over the internet - am I INSANE?
You can use DCOMover the net. But, it has a lot of headaches involved in
order to make it work just right.. (particularly with security).
A simpler solution would be to have some sort of a SOAP solution on the
server (You canuse the existing COM implementation and wrap it with SOAP
using MS toolkit). The problem might be the callback.. For that Simple way
would be to use some sort of socket based solution.
One approach might be to have a soap server on the server. And when the
client comes up, it can in turn give a socket for callbacks. The server in
turn can make soap calls on to that socket. On the client side, you can
implement a very simple SOAP based server which can handle the calls.

--
Girish Bharadwaj

Quote:
> Like many others (chasing big bucks) I was looking at porting an
application
> to the WEB and exposing its services on-line. I was not restricting myself
> to maintaining the current code set, but looking at the best
implementation
> to deliver the same functionality as currently delivered. Here's the rub.
> The application must control a resource on the server - AND it must notify
> the client of changes in the state of that server based resource..... so,
> without having to be real-time, the client side application must respond
> events from the server-side. This is where my ignorance starts and my
> research begins.
> I guess that this is a fairly common problem but I cannot find any well
> documented strategies to handle this. As a VC++/ATL programmer I am well
> aware of the capability of DCOM to do this, but remote event interfaces
are
> dogged by security issues event in a private network. I expected to find
> some MSDN based resource covering "using event interface over the
internet"
> but, unless I'm looking in the wrong place there is nothing. So can anyone
> help me.

> 1. Can DCOM be used (practically) to provide some "server-side event
> interfacing" over the internet. If not why not? Any docs?
> 2. Is there another higher-level (eg netmeeting app sharing) or
lower-level
> (eg sockets) approach that I could/should be used to crack this nut.

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Internet Interfaces to Databases

2. Passing interface pointers over internet

3. Internet Explorer's ActiveX interfaces

4. Getting iwebbrowser2 from ishellbrowser--the interface passed to setsite of internet explorer toolbar button com object

5. Internet Explorer and COM Interfaces

6. Internet Packet Interface

7. Interface with Internet Explorer

8. Getting iwebbrowser2 from ishellbrowser--the interface passed to setsite of internet explorer toolbar button com object

9. Microsoft Internet Web Control TabStrip SelectIndexChange Event

10. Internet Explorer events

11. How to Fire Error Event to Internet Explorer?

12. Receiving Internet Event