WinDbg and Symbols?
Author Message
 WinDbg and Symbols?

Hi I am new to WinDbg tool for debugging. I have a very
huge component which fails at runtime in release mode (in
Debug no probs!). I am trying pipoin the procedure where
the exception is occurring. but the WinDbg doesn't give me
required info. i belive it is something to do with the
very first warning like  " No Symbols loaded 'coz path not
found'. What r thses symbols and how can I load the
symbols for my COM component and it's client o make debug
easier??
thanks
Popsy

Mon, 24 May 2004 03:59:31 GMT
 WinDbg and Symbols?
Not sure which version of WinDbg you are using, but you can set the symobls
directory thru a menu option of thru .sympath (or something similar). If you
ahven't created debug symbols for your executable, however, either via a
.pdb or a debug release, I don't think you'll get much useful information
(unless you are very good with asm).

-Phil

Quote:
> Hi I am new to WinDbg tool for debugging. I have a very
> huge component which fails at runtime in release mode (in
> Debug no probs!). I am trying pipoin the procedure where
> the exception is occurring. but the WinDbg doesn't give me
> required info. i belive it is something to do with the
> very first warning like  " No Symbols loaded 'coz path not
> found'. What r thses symbols and how can I load the
> symbols for my COM component and it's client o make debug
> easier??
> thanks
> Popsy

Tue, 25 May 2004 02:30:20 GMT

1. WinDbg and Symbols?

2. symbols ok in winDbg, not in vc

3. Windbg :: symbols matchup for VC 5.0

4. VC7: Using symbol server for symbols AND modules

5. Can VC6 read Windows symbols from Symbol Server

6. Symbols from Symbol Server

7. Debugger Quick Ref - gdb,dbx,vc,windbg,ntsd,edebug,perld

8. quickref - debugger chart for gdb,dbx,vc,windbg,ntsd,edebug,perld

9. Access violation and windbg

10. Display an allocated array in windbg

11. debugging a remote process using windbg

12. connecting WinDbg to a pipe