Problem with ATL Control deployment
Author Message
 Problem with ATL Control deployment

I completed my first ATL component last week.  Works great on the
development machine, which is on Windows 2000 Pro.  I used the
InstallShield wizard to create a setup package for it, and used that
to install the control on a Windows 95 machine.

It didn't register the control, so I tried to use RegSvr32 to do it
manually.  I get the infamous 0x00000485 error from LoadLibrary().
The only dependencies listed for the control in the IS wizard were
MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  The target OS list did contain Windows 95.
I have verified that these DLL's are present in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM
directory on the target machine.  I have also downloaded and installed
the ATL runtime from microsoft just to make sure I had everything
needed.  All to no avail.

What DLL could be missing that Microsoft forgot to tell us about ?
I've tried this on 2 different Win95 machines with the same result.

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:11:00 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
Did you build the project using ReleaseMinDependcy?

-D

Quote:
> I completed my first ATL component last week.  Works great on the
> development machine, which is on Windows 2000 Pro.  I used the
> InstallShield wizard to create a setup package for it, and used that
> to install the control on a Windows 95 machine.

> It didn't register the control, so I tried to use RegSvr32 to do it
> manually.  I get the infamous 0x00000485 error from LoadLibrary().
> The only dependencies listed for the control in the IS wizard were
> MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  The target OS list did contain Windows 95.
> I have verified that these DLL's are present in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM
> directory on the target machine.  I have also downloaded and installed
> the ATL runtime from microsoft just to make sure I had everything
> needed.  All to no avail.

> What DLL could be missing that Microsoft forgot to tell us about ?
> I've tried this on 2 different Win95 machines with the same result.

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:34:06 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
Hello,

Quote:
> I get the infamous 0x00000485 error from LoadLibrary().
> What DLL could be missing that Microsoft forgot to tell us about ?
> I've tried this on 2 different Win95 machines with the same result.

Have a look at these articles in MSDN:
"Redistributing Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Applications",
"ActiveX Controls: Distributing ActiveX Controls".

Hope it will help.

--
Best regards,
Vadim Melnik,

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:56:41 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
or if that does not help,
a quick n' dirty way of finding out what dll you component needs is through
the output messages that are generated by the de{*filter*} when you start your
test app for the control.

you will get a lot of messages saying what dll are being loaded into the
process adress space, and therefore these will be your dependices

hope that helps,
Paul

ps
Take not that some of the dll will be dependicies of the test app, but it
won't miss any of the dll's that are needed for your control

Quote:
> Hello,

> > I get the infamous 0x00000485 error from LoadLibrary().
> > What DLL could be missing that Microsoft forgot to tell us about ?
> > I've tried this on 2 different Win95 machines with the same result.

> Have a look at these articles in MSDN:
> "Redistributing Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Applications",
> "ActiveX Controls: Distributing ActiveX Controls".

> Hope it will help.

> --
> Best regards,
> Vadim Melnik,
> {*filter*} Consultant.
> _____________________________
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:43:06 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment

Quote:
> Did you build the project using ReleaseMinDependcy?

No, it uses MFC.  But like I said, I did check for ATL.DLL, which is
needed if you do not check min dependency, as well as the MFC and MSVC
runtimes.  It's all there.

John M.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:49:13 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment

Quote:
> or if that does not help,
> a quick n' dirty way of finding out what dll you component needs is
through
> the output messages that are generated by the de{*filter*} when you
start your
> test app for the control.

But that would mean having to install VC++ on the target machines,
which would more than likely solve the problem.  But I don't want to
have to install VC++ on every machine I need to distribute this
control to.  Like I said in my previous message, the control works
fine on the development machine.

John M.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:51:00 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
MFC or the CRT may be old versions though...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> > Did you build the project using ReleaseMinDependcy?

> No, it uses MFC.  But like I said, I did check for ATL.DLL, which is
> needed if you do not check min dependency, as well as the MFC and MSVC
> runtimes.  It's all there.

> John M.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:05:53 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
I had a similar problem when trying to install a debug version of a component
created in 95 in NT (which doesnt have VC). (I think it is the ATL.dll that is OS
specific!). But I was able to register the ReleaseMinDependency version!

Regards,
Satish

Quote:
[...]

.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:29:45 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
Nope.  Latest ones.

Quote:
> MFC or the CRT may be old versions though...

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================

> > > Did you build the project using ReleaseMinDependcy?

> > No, it uses MFC.  But like I said, I did check for ATL.DLL, which
is
> > needed if you do not check min dependency, as well as the MFC and
MSVC
> > runtimes.  It's all there.

> > John M.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:38:03 GMT
 Problem with ATL Control deployment
Ah, I think you may have hit on something there.  I forgot to
recompile it as a release version.  I really don't think the minimum
dependency issue is the problem.  That just determines whether or not
you need to include ATL.DLL in the distribution.  But having a debug
version may require some obscure msvc debug dll that doesn't get
picked up by the installshield wizard.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

John M.

[...]

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:42:47 GMT

1. Dual Mode atl com/.net deployment

2. ATL Server deployment questions

3. ATL server web service deployment

4. ATL Service Deployment

5. ATL Server Deployment

6. ATL Server - deployment

7. ATL Server Deployment

8. ATL Full Control - mouse activation problems in Composite Control

9. ATL Full Control - mouse activation problems in Composite Control

10. Key Buffer Problem ATL Windows RichEdit Control Control

11. Help - Problems with Drawing an MFC ActiveX control inside on ATL compsoite control

12. Problems with Drawing an MFC ActiveX control inside on ATL compsoite control