IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes
Author Message
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

I'm used to debugging normal MFC apps.  I'm working on a COM automation object, using ATL, and calling it from IIS.  I have the
de{*filter*} mostly working; I'm finding the PID for DLLHOST, and can set breakpoints.  However, if I get an exception, such as
Access Violation, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I get to a call stack.  In MFC apps, if you crash, it pops up a
message, and you can hit CANCEL.  It then puts you into the de{*filter*}, with a call stack, so you can see what state your in and
where the problem is.  I haven't yet figured out how to do this in this scenario.

Do I need to have my services, such as W3SVC log in as me?

Any pointers would be greatly appreicated!

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

Attach VC to the running instance of IIS...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
=====================================

Quote:
> I'm used to debugging normal MFC apps.  I'm working on a COM automation

object, using ATL, and calling it from IIS.  I have the
Quote:
> de{*filter*} mostly working; I'm finding the PID for DLLHOST, and can set

breakpoints.  However, if I get an exception, such as
Quote:
> Access Violation, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I get to a call

stack.  In MFC apps, if you crash, it pops up a
Quote:
> message, and you can hit CANCEL.  It then puts you into the de{*filter*}, with

a call stack, so you can see what state your in and
Quote:
> where the problem is.  I haven't yet figured out how to do this in this
scenario.

> Do I need to have my services, such as W3SVC log in as me?

> Any pointers would be greatly appreicated!

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

Can you do this when you're running out of process?  So far I haven't been able to make it work.

Quote:

> Attach VC to the running instance of IIS...

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> =====================================

> > I'm used to debugging normal MFC apps.  I'm working on a COM automation
> object, using ATL, and calling it from IIS.  I have the
> > de{*filter*} mostly working; I'm finding the PID for DLLHOST, and can set
> breakpoints.  However, if I get an exception, such as
> > Access Violation, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I get to a call
> stack.  In MFC apps, if you crash, it pops up a
> > message, and you can hit CANCEL.  It then puts you into the de{*filter*}, with
> a call stack, so you can see what state your in and
> > where the problem is.  I haven't yet figured out how to do this in this
> scenario.

> > Do I need to have my services, such as W3SVC log in as me?

> > Any pointers would be greatly appreicated!

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

Build/Start Debug/Attach to Process...

If this happens too late, you can place a DebugBreak in your constructor
so VC can be attached to your process, then just continue. Check that the
JIT debugging option is enabled in your VC options dialog.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
=====================================

Quote:
> Can you do this when you're running out of process?  So far I haven't been

able to make it work.

> > Attach VC to the running instance of IIS...

> > --
> > =====================================
> > Alexander Nickolov
> > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > =====================================

> > > I'm used to debugging normal MFC apps.  I'm working on a COM
automation
> > object, using ATL, and calling it from IIS.  I have the
> > > de{*filter*} mostly working; I'm finding the PID for DLLHOST, and can set
> > breakpoints.  However, if I get an exception, such as
> > > Access Violation, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I get to a
call
> > stack.  In MFC apps, if you crash, it pops up a
> > > message, and you can hit CANCEL.  It then puts you into the de{*filter*},
with
> > a call stack, so you can see what state your in and
> > > where the problem is.  I haven't yet figured out how to do this in
this
> > scenario.

> > > Do I need to have my services, such as W3SVC log in as me?

> > > Any pointers would be greatly appreicated!

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes
I find that __asm int 3; is more useful, as it stops right at your source
and not in the runtime assembler.

Cheers

Steve

Quote:
> Build/Start Debug/Attach to Process...

> If this happens too late, you can place a DebugBreak in your constructor
> so VC can be attached to your process, then just continue. Check that the
> JIT debugging option is enabled in your VC options dialog.

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> =====================================

> > Can you do this when you're running out of process?  So far I haven't
been
> able to make it work.

> > > Attach VC to the running instance of IIS...

> > > --
> > > =====================================
> > > Alexander Nickolov
> > > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > > =====================================

> automation
> > > object, using ATL, and calling it from IIS.  I have the
> > > breakpoints.  However, if I get an exception, such as
> call
> > > stack.  In MFC apps, if you crash, it pops up a
> with
> > > a call stack, so you can see what state your in and
> this
> > > scenario.

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

Yes, but does it work on say Alpha?

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
=====================================

Quote:
> I find that __asm int 3; is more useful, as it stops right at your source
> and not in the runtime assembler.

> Cheers

> Steve

> > Build/Start Debug/Attach to Process...

> > If this happens too late, you can place a DebugBreak in your constructor
> > so VC can be attached to your process, then just continue. Check that
the
> > JIT debugging option is enabled in your VC options dialog.

> > --
> > =====================================
> > Alexander Nickolov
> > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > =====================================

> > > Can you do this when you're running out of process?  So far I haven't
> been
> > able to make it work.

> > automation
> set
> > call
> de{*filter*},
> > with
> > this

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

Good point Alexander.  Never worked on Alphas to be honest.  Does it work?

Cheers

Steve

Quote:
> Yes, but does it work on say Alpha?

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> =====================================

> > I find that __asm int 3; is more useful, as it stops right at your
source
> > and not in the runtime assembler.

> > Cheers

> > Steve

> > > Build/Start Debug/Attach to Process...

> > > If this happens too late, you can place a DebugBreak in your
constructor
> > > so VC can be attached to your process, then just continue. Check that
> the
> > > JIT debugging option is enabled in your VC options dialog.

> > > --
> > > =====================================
> > > Alexander Nickolov
> > > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > > =====================================

> > been
> > > able to make it work.

> > > automation
> > set
> > > call
> > de{*filter*},
> > > with
> > > this

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 IIS Automation object: how do I get a call stack when it crashes

I don't know either :)... Probably not - Intel and Alpha are not binary
compatible. However, there is a tiny probability the person you give
the advice uses Alpha... :)

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
=====================================

Quote:
> Good point Alexander.  Never worked on Alphas to be honest.  Does it work?

> Cheers

> Steve

> > Yes, but does it work on say Alpha?

> > --
> > =====================================
> > Alexander Nickolov
> > Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> > MVP VC FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > =====================================

> > > I find that __asm int 3; is more useful, as it stops right at your
> source
> > > and not in the runtime assembler.

> > > Cheers

> > > Steve

> constructor
> > the

> haven't
> > > been

> can
> > > set
> > > de{*filter*},
> in

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to write down the call stack when program crash

2. Crash Call Stack shows NTDLL several times

3. Getting the call stack at run-time

4. Showing Call Stack and Determine which object is not valid LARGE CHUNK OF CODE

5. HELP!!! Automation Controller calls to Server Crashes - Stack Overflow - How debug???

6. Getting the type of the calling object

7. Getting error message while calling a method of the ATL object from ASP

8. gets( ) gets crash

9. COM crashes IIS, but runs flawlessly under other programs

10. destructor is called before copy-constructor on temporary class (allocated on stack during function call)

11. Anybody doing powerpoint automation from VC?

12. Automation dll has lost it's tlb-info (done with VC++)